Lure Anglers Society Conference June 4th

john cahill

I have been asked by a member of the LAS Committee to post the following

LURE ANGLERS SOCIETY NEWSLETTER.

MAY 2005

CONFERENCE 2005

It is with much regret that we are cancelling the June conference, this decision has not been taken lightly, but due to other urgent commitments my time has not been available to ensure this is a highlight of the year. Unless I can ensure it is a total success for both members and trade, I will not settle for second best. We are looking at re-scheduling this event for later in the year and will keep you advised through the magazine, a dedicated mailer and the website.

Gary Palmer, Promotions & Advertising.

A NOTE FROM THE CHAIRMAN.

The committee is working hard to improve the LAS and here are some of the good things, the summer issue of the magazine is already at the printers and we will be sending this out very early in June.

The LAS is in the best financial position it has been in since the society started, under this committee we have built a healthy bank balance and can look to the future with confidence. Some of this money will be used for new computer equipment for the editor, this will help produce a better magazine with easier setting up.

The membership keeps up remarkably well, this is not to say we have enough, we always want more. Lure fishing is a growing sport and we are always surprised we do not have a larger membership particularly of those who are coming into lure angling, the magazine must be the best way of learning. Attending the lure matches is also a great way of learning. In the last year, both the Shimano/LAS Lure Tournament (full report in next magazine) and the Masterline/Harris Zander Lure Match have been a great success producing the best bags and bigger fish than we have ever had, both were well attended.

Normally I would have been glad to have helped Gary organise the conference, but when he realised, due to a combination of work, health and the fact his partner was having a difficult birth with their baby, that he could not put in the work required to make it a good conference, he asked me for help, but due to illness and subsequently a death in the family, I could not give the time required either. Most members of the committee hold down full time jobs, so finding the time to contact the trade to take stands and all the other things that have to be done to provide a good day for our members and visitors, just was not available, therefore it was decided to cancel.

Although it was a tough decision to cancel the conference, it was for good reasons, and now we now working out a new date later in the year.

Roy Goddard, Chairman.

P.S. The other good news is Gary and his partner Laura have a healthy baby girl, Laura is still not fully recovered but we wish her well.