Tench session

NetFull

Thought id share my first tench session of the year with you all let me start by telling you a bit about the venue my local club lake. A notoriously hard mixed fishery with the mainstay of weights been made up of Rudd and Tench although other species tend to get thrown into the mix unexpectedly such as double figure bream though too rare to target.

The rumours had been passing around that the tench were beginning to show so I thought an afternoon/evening trip was in order. I knew there was little chance of the smaller fish, which have had a serious ravaging by fish eating birds over winter, so opted to go for the tench or bust.

Upon arriving about 2pm there was a fairly strong wind blowing towards my favoured pegs, so I set up next to a large bush with two heavy feeder rods, ground bait feeder paternoster style, and my new electronic bite alarms and pod set up. I wasn’t overly hopeful of even getting a bite as every time I had visited while travelling past I had heard the same old story.

“Any good”

“Nah rubbish not a bite”

However,

upon casting the first rod out and turning round to bait the other rod beep beep beep. Holy crap a bite missed, that couldn’t have been in there 10 seconds. I got cast out again, the right rod baited with corn a gentle throw 30-40 yards out, and the left rod baited with triple maggot launched into the middle.

I settled down behind my brolly and the bush and made myself comfortable reading the angling paper, well if I cant catch them I might as well read about them.

About and hour and a few recasts(to get some bait out) later my first fish on the distance rod, a lovely gentle take slowly raising the indicator .A nice 5lb 4oz tench slipped into the net though it looked much bigger.

About 4pm and another tench in the bag along came another club member with the expected remarks “what the f are you doing, carping?” Just cause ive got this set up do I have to be carping sheeesh :rolleyes: . “ NO” I replied “Im after the tench” A snide look and away he walked to fish further along the lake.

By 7pm with it turning a bit chilly I decided 5 Tench all between 4 and 51/2 pound was enough for the day and packed up extremely happy with the afternoons fishing