when to give up

mike1234

I live within walking distance of a lake which is a cheap day ticket water(3 quid IF anyone bothers coming round) its not over stocked and fishes well

but its in the middle of an housing estate and seems to be a magnet for cider drinking teenagers, lager drinking anglers and general idiots

i dont tend to fish it often or for long sessions just when i get a spare hour and there is nothing on the telly or just for some fresh air but 9 of 10 times i go there i swear its the last time.

Last night i arrived at 7pm and fished at the end furthest away from the road where the yobs seem to hang about, all seemed quite and i had a few bites then splash a rock was thrown in the water and 2 idiots proceeded to run around the lake throwing stones and bottles at each other from either side,

when one passed me i asked him nicely if he would mind moving as he was scaring the fish and after a 20 min conversation of whats in here how do you catch the carp etc he seemed to move on

Another 10 mins later him and a few other morons decided to stand on a tree branch that hung out over the lake opposite to me and bump up and down on it and scream like girls trying to snap it or send one of them into the water.

after i told them i hope they fall and break there necks they moved off, threw a stone into my swim and scattered.

when i thought all the excitement was over i heard a noise from behind me that sounded like how i imagine a cat getting electrocuted would sound and a group of teenage girls singing along to some crap song being played from a mobile phone emerged,

added to the rats running over my feet, the litter everywhere, all the other unwanted company that hangs around there.

maybe its time to give up and just wait for weekends or days where i can get to other waters but living so close always makes me want to go and try new ideas or equipment out there and i dont want to let the b'stards win

I have the same problem on a local lake close to a housing estate.

Think of the summer holidays as a closed season for the lake, and fish it september until june instead. Thats what I do and it makes fishing there much more enjoyable and peaceful! ( im such an old man of a 22 year old!)