Fishing the mini rivers.

Moody

You might also want to try the Worthenbury Brook which Warrington AA also control. It contains chub, dace, perch and trout. Should be everything you need really. Let us know how you get on at the Gowy, Ill be giving it a crack at the start of the season

• 3 weeks later...

I have had some great fishing on small streams. Getting permission is a bit hit and miss but I followed the rules below and secured permission to fish over 3 miles of local river (tiny stream really but it said river on the OS map).

1. Spend some time on research, easiest way is to drive past the stream as often as possible and ask anyone working the fields for the name and address of the riparian owner.

2. Write personal letters to the riparian owners, by hand if necessary. Don't phone them - letters are less "in your face" and more likely to elicit a positive reponse.

3. Be polite at all times, even if the answer is "No" try to keep some line of communication open - they may change their mind in a couple of years.

4. ALWAYS enclose an SAE.

5. This one goes without saying - once you have got your permission don't blow it by leaving litter etc.

Give it a go, lots of good fishing can be had for the price of a few first class stamps.

Cheers, Peter

PeterJC:

I have had some great fishing on small streams. Getting permission is a bit hit and miss but I followed the rules below and secured permission to fish over 3 miles of local river (tiny stream really but it said river on the OS map).

1. Spend some time on research, easiest way is to drive past the stream as often as possible and ask anyone working the fields for the name and address of the riparian owner.

2. Write personal letters to the riparian owners, by hand if necessary. Don't phone them - letters are less "in your face" and more likely to elicit a positive reponse.

3. Be polite at all times, even if the answer is "No" try to keep some line of communication open - they may change their mind in a couple of years.

4. ALWAYS enclose an SAE.

5. This one goes without saying - once you have got your permission don't blow it by leaving litter etc.

Give it a go, lots of good fishing can be had for the price of a few first class stamps.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks for the tips. I was just wondering what you or anyone else with experience in this kind of thing does about payment? Will the owner be expecting a fiver? Will they ask for money? Is it best to offer something?

I appreciate every situation is different but I was just wondering what the 'done' thing is?

Cheers. :)

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

"I'd suggest you work upstream as this will scare less fish. Sorry to keep on about stealth, but this really is the key to catching on such waters!"

That's interesting, as I always adopt the opposite approach, so as not to scare the fish!

I always prefer to drift a bait down, whether it be with a float or an ultra light leger. You can get the bait into the water well above the fish and without casting over their heads or making a splash. Tackle control is also easier and more accurate. I wouldn't want to cast up to a group of fish and pull my line back through them.

The biggest decision you have to make when approaching a likely looking pool, is whether to cast to the upstream end of it, trying to pick them off one by one, or to cast directly to what is the most obvious hotspot. I always used to do the former, but often wonder if it cost me the chance of catching fewer, but picking out the bigger fish in the shoal.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.