Can anyone confirm the species of this fish?

LeicesterCarl

Rudd Picture?

(Warning, pic is quite big to allow people to zoom in and check the fish out as closely as possible!)

Hello all. Last night my daughter managed (after several fishless hours) to hook and land this fantastic fish. (as you can see in the pic, she's pretty happy about it!)

I'm pretty sure it's a rudd and, if so, it's an absolute specimen as it tipped the scales at 2lb 10oz!

Certainly has the golden tinge, reddish fins and upturned mouth - the lower lip was distinctly protruding beyond the upper and it was caught off the top on floating breadflake - hardly conclusive, I know, but fairly circumstantial evidence!

Still waiting for a high tide to reach Leicester...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmmmm well congrats on the fish,it looks too long to be a rudd,rudd have much deeper bodies,i thought it looked like a chub(look at dorsal postion and the redish anal fin+colour of the fish ), but the mouth is to upturned?it could infact be an ide,altho i have seen limted number of these.anyone else?i thinks its a chub or an ide mate.

[ 17. July 2004, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Looks Chub..ish to me too. Nice fish for the Lass though.

Paul

Ooh no - not a chub... I catch loads of chub and it was *way* off being a chub - the mouth was only half the size for a start! Most chub of that size would swallow a golf ball - this fish would have struggled to swallow a boilie! It was much less thick-set than a chub too.

Can Rudd & Chub "hybridize" for want of a better term?

i beleive so,chub-rudd,roach-chub all is possible,i still think it could be an ide.thats the only thing that dont look chubby- that gob- your right,is not big enough!

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Guest Ferret1959

Not an Ide, I have caught them and have some in my pond and they look quite differant.

Carl, where was it caught as this may lead to some more clues.

PM me if it's a top secret venue. :)

Guest Ferret1959

Just noticed something about the picture..........

Bet when she gets home she'll be in trouble, fancy using the best tea towel. :D:D:D

Best tea towel? Nah - that's my fishing towel - had it years!

Not a top secret venue at all - it was Watery Gate Fisheries near Huncote in Leicestershire!

I know I've caught Rudd from there in the past - no idea if there are Chub in there though - I've never caught one from there before.

I reckon it's a Rudd. Fits the classic id - lower lip out, deep red fins, golden tinge, dorsal fin starts significantly behind pectoral fins, small mouth, feeding on top, thin body...

The *only* thing is, as people have pointed out, it's not very "deep" as Rudd classically are... However, is that enough to preclude it from being a Rudd?