the costs have changed

gaza

this short note points out some of the changes the way fisherys have stocked there waters. first of all after reading the article from angling times keith arthurs final word colum . the costs of fish stocks are now no longer balanced in my view.and in keiths as well costs of carp stock i take it keith was on about small carp, are 5 pounds a pounds and gudgeon are 17lbs a pound surely the costs for carp are going to see most waters filled with fish that are bred to well basicaly fill an anglers net. but that is not the problem you see filling any lakes with stock fish that are easy to stock and upsets the balance. its like putting stocks of chickens into a small coup its still going to lay eggs but you wont want to eat them simply because they will taste terrible no proteins low coulour of egg and this to is reflected in the way some, not all fisherys have filled there boots so to say, with carp now. cheap and very very easy to buy. well wats your thoughts on this. :rolleyes:

fishing guide for catfish and carp

alot of it depends on the market you are targetting . .

if you were a taxi driver and everyone was happy with a toyota or nissan . . would you go out and splash out a brand new merc ?

on the carp pool front I think carp pools have now brow beaten the traditional anglers back to the rivers and natural waters and a new breed of "as long as it pulls the float under" fisherman (not angler) has emerged.

Another point well worth noting fish 3 - 4" and 6 - 8" are easy to find . . but start looking for propper coarse fish for lakes around the 1lb mark and you will struggle . .

I think it is market forces . . and the carp puddles are run as businesses and the club lakes are still run as clubs . .

they saw the niche, took it and expanded making a lot of money on the way

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

i see your point about the cars but you must have seen those waters that were in the past stocked with small carp be it the pound size or smaller you know the ones brown water hardly any weeds basicaly a sluury for fish at its extreme i have to say. but surely there will have to be aturning point that anglers will feel its enough like you have mentioned anglers turning to rivers. are more frequent but then again the fisherys that have stocked those small stunted (in my view) stock carp. will have to have another look at there future i to agree that the financial side of things have swung towards stocking the small lets call them slurry carp pond fish and now they have fallen behind the chaps that stocked wise and well looking to the future of angling and the future of what should be a good course fishery.

I dont realy feel the carp waters with bigger fish have fallen into this trap the well manged and well educated fishery with syndicate waters have been well looked after. well most of them anyway anyway. lets just see what the future holds. :):):) ....

it is sad . . but I think you need to take confort in that only a small handfull of anglers actually visit these puddles. The mass audience for these waters are the fishermen, who at the change of a rod rest head go from a a course angler to a carp angler (no unhooking mat, no forceps, no care, just an argos bite alarm, quickly screwed where their earlier butterfly rest was)

If these waters had a long term future, more of them would be on the market I believe, with a much higher asking price too. Only now as the bubble (I believe) is starting strain will the bigger ones start to contemplate selling off .

another major factor is that these land locked holes on private land can be easily stocked and MUCH cheaper than those of a more traditional nature requiring consent . . .

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

gaza

I agree about what you say about the price of carp being so cheap the fish farmers have also jumped on the band wagon nowing there will be a big demand.But I think you made a mistake with cost of gudgeon 17lbs a pound I have in front of me a price list from 2000 they were asking for £43 per 100 then.

A wise man learns by a fools mistakes, a fool by his own

hi ridgeacre

the costs were taken from an excert in the keth arthurs suoerb columm the final word but i have to say that i he must have his good knowledge fro somewhere.

argos bite alarm :D:D:D enough said realy

i to agree the bubble is defiantly going to burst soon I have had a thought, surely there must be law against pressured stocking of water, look at the recnt laws laid down for chickens couped up and animal right activists taking action. Now i dont want to start anything here, lets not give anybody any amunition but it has to be said. Is it cruel to overstock would you put your 200 goldfish in a tank just to make sure you got enough fish in there to make it look like a fish tank. of course not so why should people be allowed to stock so many fish maybe i have opend pandoras box on this, but if it is cruel then they should be frowned upon.what are your opions on this somewhat contreversial and pressing point. should be intresting. :)