Why Should You Join The SAA ???

Guest Chris Woodrow

Phil - I do thank you for the document you sent explaining some of the history and the current situation too. It did greatly help make things quite a bit clearer. Long, detailed, and an obvious lot of thought in the writing. Good stuff.

All - one comment here and I'm back to just lurking this thread. Governments have lots of folks competing for their time, interest, and money. Pols are kept in office by votes.

If angling speaks with a single voice - as it would thru a single umbrella organization - it should get attention and be listened to. Large numbers behind it - and likely lots of votes by the Pol's way of thinking. Mutiple groups, no impact as they nullify each other.

Regardless of which organization you choose to represent "angling interests" there simply has to be one and only one dealing with the government. If the SAA is even somewhat close to that, support it. Work to change any ideas you don't like but support it. If the SAA is absolutely beyond hope, create another one. But by all means, get ONE.

Opinion over.

Guest Chris Woodrow

Graham,

Last couple of Carp Fishers have had good SAA write ups including a 'who's who'.

Not too sure of any site on the web, the info on this site is now pretty dated (Elton!).

Chris

Guest phil hackett
Originally posted by Graham E:

Chris, where can I find an uptodate Heirachy of the SAA?

Thanks

If you contact Mike Haylin he should be able to supply you with it.

PH

Guest waterman1013

Hi Guys

This is the list Graham asked for with contact points for key officers.

SAA Officers 2001

President Prof. Barrie Rickards

Vice Presidents

Chris Burt cburt@blueyonder.co.uk

Keith Barker Tim Marks timmarks@madasafish.com

Chairman Keith Barker KB3638@aol.com

Treasurer Kevin Stephenson

kevin@old-dalby.freeserve.co.uk

Assistant Treasurers

Pat Cross

Chris Burt

Secretary Michael Heylin

saauk100@hotmail.com

Membership Secretary

Pat Cross PAT@cross89.freeserve.co.uk

Assistant Secretary

& Web Site Manager

Rob Stubbs RobStubbs@aol.com

Finance Officer

& Vice Chairman

Alan Pearce Alanwpearce@btinternet.com

Head of Communications

Howard Yendle

Group Liaison Officer

Dave Lumb dave.lumb@virgin.net

Magazine Editor

Paul Clinkenborg paulk@klinktrans.freeserve.co.uk

Assist Mag Editor

Dave Stirzaker

Advertising Manager

Alan Tebbitt

Newsletter Editor Barry Cartwright barrycartwright@beeb.net

Assistant Newsletter Editor

Dunk Fairley dunk.fairley@ic24.net

Newsletter Distribution

Nev Fickling

Regional Organiser Anthony Jolly (N.W.)

Chris Woodrow (Essex)

Conservation Officer

Phil Hackett ph.ks@care4free.net

Conservation Advisor

Chris Turnbull

Assistant Conservation Officer

Chris Evans christopherevans@orange.net

Rivers Group Co-ordinator

Dunk Fairley

External Affairs Officers

Tim Marks

Chris Burt

Assistant EAOs

David Bird david@dbdg.demon.co.uk

Howard Yendle

Hope that all helps. The website is being redone to update it. I spoke to jaybee yesterday but he is having a well earned rest this week after moving tons of gigabites of Eltons stuff over the last few weeks to new servers.

Mike Heylin

Secretary SAA

Guest RobStubbs

Chris,

I'm currently working with Elton on the website. There have been a few problems but fingers crossed it should be sorted soon.

Rob.

Guest Chris Woodrow

Thanks Mike / Rob,

Will be good to see the website come live, There is clearly a great deal of interest !

Can you give me the address, www.saa.com ??

Like to include it in my Essex Region letters going out soon.

Thankyou, tight lines.

Chris

Originally posted by Chris Woodrow:

Can you give me the address, www.saa.com  ??

Like to include it in my Essex Region

More likely www.saa.org if it is a not-for-profit outfit. The .com ones are for commercial. Or possibly ww3.saa.lets-fight.UK. smile.gif

Sorry - that was in very bad taste wasn't it? Well, what do you expect? I am from the colonies after all. Uncouth by definition. biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 24 November 2001).]

Guest mpbdsnu

I remember a very similar debate to this one regarding the pro's and con's of joining up with the SAA, in the days of the SACG. Not so very long ago, though for some reason it seems longer?? This may be due in no small way to the good (and hard) work done by those concernded.

One name that sticks in my mind is that of Mike Heylin. I don't know him, but the intelligent, well thought out, and knowledgable answers he provided to my questions convinced me that the SAA (then SACG) was the right way to go.

Regards,

Malcolm Bason - mem. no: 166

leons post earlier on this page ,was one of the most reasoned and still passionate posts i have read for a long while.well said that man.

i have also decided to join SAA and after committee decision so has my club.why? well it gives us a voice ,we believe that the people leading angling need our help we can do that just by joining,as leon put it the politicians want to know how many you represent so it's important.

when i told kerry pollard mp this site got a million hits a month(hope thats right elton)not only was he impressed but he arranged a press release saying angling was safe with labour.so size does matter.please consider joining and ask your club if they might as well.im sure info could be arranged if required.cheers big al

[This message has been edited by big al (edited 24 November 2001).]