first fishing day in years.

kingbel

hi i am off for my first fishing day in about 8 years tomorrow.

i am going to peatling pools, leicester.

i was thinking about using my feeder rod, with casters, sweetcorn, and maggot and maybe some chopped worm with crumb ground bait in a small feeder.

i would be very greatfull if anyone as any tips.

i will also be trying for some carp, with pellets, and luncheon meat.

any tips again would be a big help.

thanks dave.

Your timing is good, as the carp have finally woken up there in the last few weeks :).

I had a good last couple of hours there last Saturday floatfishing on the bottom close in at one of the deeper swims with maggot, getting a roach a cast, ranging from tiddlers to about 12oz. The carp then moved in to the margins, the first one of 9½lb took a single red maggot on a size 20 hook and miraculously stayed on. After that I had a 5lbish carp and foulhooked a 6½lb carp, both on single red maggot. I probably should have switched to a bigger hook and bait for the carp but was enjoying catching some worthwhile roach for a change. The second rod legered with a lump of luncheonmeat produced a few liners and a 5lbish carp. The feeder fisherman who was in the swim before me had been doing well with the silver fish (roach, rudd and crucians), although he did say he was only catching on maggot and couldn't get a bite on sweetcorn.

The carp have started actively cruising in groups below the surface and in the margins so a floating bait or a shallow bait (such as luncheonmeat, a foot or two deep) dropped in front of visible fish should start to catch now. If it's not busy it might be worth stalking them, they tend to be in the same corners/margins early in the Spring.

All your baits should work now the weather is warming up, although pellets are banned if you read the new(ish) green signs by the car park.

He put some small barbel, chub and golden tench in there a while back and they are growing on well, the best barbel I've had is 2½lb, so you might get a surprise or two.

It's on http://www.fisheries.co.uk/peatlingpools/index.htm if you haven't seen it.

I'll probably be there or Mill Farm myself tomorrow afternoon, so if you see an old(ish) bald guy with a wicker seat box say hi.

Good luck.