Pole Fishing Line

Elton

Posted on behalf of davedave. Please add all replies to this thread:

What is a good size line to have on your pole? I have a 41b line on mine and i'm afraid its too heavy and fish could see it, what does everybody else have? Cheers

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's a big subject; I managed to write a book on it (pole fishing) so you can tell there's no simple answer.

It depends on what you are fishing for as well how you are fishing for them - a bit like most fishing. 4lb line could be much too heavy in the case of some shy roach or much too light in the case of sizable carp near snags. Whatever line you use it must be balanced to the hook, pole and elastic otherwise if something has to give the last thing you want is the pole breaking!

Give us some clues; what are you trying to catch and in what circumstances? roach on a canal, carp to 10lbs in a commercial? Often the reason for not catching fish is more fundamental than the strength of the line; if you've frightened them away or don't know how to feed properly it's going to be a struggle.

It's a big subject; I managed to write a book on it (pole fishing) so you can tell there's no simple answer.

It depends on what you are fishing for as well how you are fishing for them - a bit like most fishing. 4lb line could be much too heavy in the case of some shy roach or much too light in the case of sizable carp near snags. Whatever line you use it must be balanced to the hook, pole and elastic otherwise if something has to give the last thing you want is the pole breaking!

Give us some clues; what are you trying to catch and in what circumstances? roach on a canal, carp to 10lbs in a commercial? Often the reason for not catching fish is more fundamental than the strength of the line; if you've frightened them away or don't know how to feed properly it's going to be a struggle.

Umm i mainly fish lakes and estate ponds for roach, i normally use a size 16 hook and fish near to reeds and lilies. I don't fish for carp on my pole (not saying i'd complain if one took the bait) so i suppose i barely fish for fish over a pound. I thought that as the weather is getting a bit warmer it might be a good idea to have stronger stuff on, but to be honest, i'm no expert so im just wondering if i have the right size line for my type of fishing, last thing i want to do is scare the fish off as i don't catch a great deal anyway. Thanks for the help :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."