***** WD40 WARNING *****

Guest Chris Shaw

The original formulation of WD-40 was, I think, a non-petroleum based lube and pretty much non-toxic. Also attracted fish.

Current formula still (from what I read) has the attractant property but is petroleum based and so could potentially be harmful to fish. Possibly to the water also but it would take an amount larger than you are likely to see from items sprayed with it and then put into the water.

From the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the product:

Ingredient: STODDARD SOLVENT; (ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES)

Percent: 50

Ingredient: PETROLEUM GAS (LIQUEFIED); (A-70 HYDROCARBON PROPELLANT)

Percent: 25

Ingredient: MINERAL OIL, PETRO DISTIL, SOLV DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC

(SEVERE SOLV REFINING &/OR HYDROTREATMENT); (PETRO BASE OIL)

Percent: >15

Ingredient: NON-HAZARDOUS INGREDIENTS

Percent: <10

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 26 November 2001).]

Guest Oatmealjack

Do you guys know for a fact that all the ingredients in all the bait flavors sold over the counter are not harmfull to carp? What would happen if you dipped a carp in a vat of flavor, dont think it would swim out now do you? You guys buy your flavors etc. on the assumption that they are 100% safe to the fish and keep dumping it in the water, are you really sure? Even some food colorings have been suspect over the years as causing cancer, yet we must have our coloured boilies!

Oat

Guest Ferret1959

Do we or don't we???? I'm still not sure if I can use it or not.Maybe if it's used in baits that are eaten like boilies it's bad or maybe if it's on a lure that's not eaten it's ok??? Well I'm totally in a right mucking fuddle about this.Shall we have a vote over the next 2 or 3 days to find out the opinion of all the readers??

Originally posted by Steve Burke:

Please don't jump down the throats of Chris and Sue Harris when you tell them.  I've  known them for years and fish care is very important to them.  They just wouldn't have been aware of the dangers.

I'll second that. Haven't known them personally, but I've had dealings and they are very nice people.

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Chris Shaw
Originally posted by Elton:

I'll second that. Haven't known them personally, but I've had dealings and they are very nice people.

Elton

No worries, I have already mailed Chris at Harris Angling, politely of coarse, as I said I would. I have had a response, I have mailed him back to ask if it is OK to post his reply here. I am awaiting a response to that request.

------------------

Chris Shaw

The reel handles spun in unison as they played on.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 28 November 2001).]

Guest Simon Newbould
Originally posted by phonebush:

Oats alarm is only valid if fish get thirsty.  Do fish get thirsty??  I'm pretty sure I have caught some that were sweating.

Phone   biggrin.gif

Hi Phone,

Nah, Freshwater fish don't get thirsty but saltwater fish do... honest, it's something to do with salt and osmosis!

Saltwater fish actually have to drink water whereas Freshwater fish absorb it through the skin... (or is it the other way around?)

Anyway... back to the thread.... It's an interesting one this. I've deliberately kept out of it 'cos I don't know the answer... My gut feeling is that WD40 cannot possibly do the fish any good.... but who am I to say?

I'm following this one with interest smile.gif

Simon

[This message has been edited by Simon Newbould (edited 28 November 2001).]