Boston Spa Barbel

nden85

Has anyone fished the Bingley Angling Club stretch at Boston Spa? I've just become a member with them and went for the first time last last night. Fished from 19:00 to 8:00 and didn't catch a thing fishing two rods for barbel.

Pretty disappointing considering that stretch is meant to be pretty good and has had the Yorkshire record and a number of specimens out recently. Not sure if I fished the wrong swim or wrong tactics or whether the river just needs some rain.

Has anyone fished the Bingley Angling Club stretch at Boston Spa? I've just become a member with them and went for the first time last last night. Fished from 19:00 to 8:00 and didn't catch a thing fishing two rods for barbel.

Pretty disappointing considering that stretch is meant to be pretty good and has had the Yorkshire record and a number of specimens out recently. Not sure if I fished the wrong swim or wrong tactics or whether the river just needs some rain.

I have fished this stretch many times and have never had a barbel out,the top of the length is supposed to be best at this time of year,my mate had one out last year,just don't wander too far up onto the private property owned by the chap who owns the house on the weir.there is a lot of very big perch in the deeper water lower down,and some nice bream,also pike,and carp.

:thumbs:

I have fished this stretch many times and have never had a barbel out,the top of the length is supposed to be best at this time of year,my mate had one out last year,just don't wander too far up onto the private property owned by the chap who owns the house on the weir.there is a lot of very big perch in the deeper water lower down,and some nice bream,also pike,and carp.

:thumbs:

Just got back from another sesh this evening, nothing again. Tried a swim downsteam towards where those cliffs are at the end of the field. Gonna try round near the weir next, if that doesn't work I'm just gonna weep.

Do you normally go for the perch? What size do they get to?

Just got back from another sesh this evening, nothing again. Tried a swim downsteam towards where those cliffs are at the end of the field. Gonna try round near the weir next, if that doesn't work I'm just gonna weep.

Do you normally go for the perch? What size do they get to?

I have had perch to around 2 lb,bream at 5lb,I lost a pike off at the top of the length that was about 12 lb but I have seen pike well into double figures,and a friend had one just over 16lb,I have heard plenty of barbel are caught but I have never had one yet.

I have had perch to around 2 lb,bream at 5lb,I lost a pike off at the top of the length that was about 12 lb but I have seen pike well into double figures,and a friend had one just over 16lb,I have heard plenty of barbel are caught but I have never had one yet.

Hmmm, well I suppose fishing is all about perseverance. Thinking of trying again tomorrow night by the weir. Those pike and perch sound good as well, not keen on bream, always fight like wet farts.