how to catch canal tench

davedave

There are tench in my local canal (Ilminster, Somerset) and would like to try and catch my first tench. Any tips on baits, line strength, tips etc.

I was thinking of a couple of pieces of sweetcorn ledgered over casters or something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

There are tench in my local canal (Ilminster, Somerset) and would like to try and catch my first tench. Any tips on baits, line strength, tips etc.

I was thinking of a couple of pieces of sweetcorn ledgered over casters or something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

This is what works on my local canal in Birmingham and when I was a lad in Liverpool. Sweetcorn or bread (flake or punched). Fished about 4 to 6 in over depth with a float. 4 to 6lb line with 3-4 lb hooklink. Size 14 hook and used some corn and small pieces of bread as loose feed. Better at early evening and fishing down the central channel or just on the slope of the near side bank. On my canals thats just off the rod tip and just over the marginal weed. I tend to fish about a rod length to the side of me as well. So as I'm not disturbing the fish when moving around. Seems to work for me. But this is a narrow typical canal which has little boat traffic.

Regards

Rob

A lot depends on how many tench are in there, compared to the other species. My local canal (Macclesfield) also holds a few, but it's completely hit-or-miss whether or not you catch one. Any bait fished on or near the bottom has far more chance of being snaffled by a roach, bream, carp (or even a signal crayfish) before a tench gets a look-in.

It would probably be worth spending some time walking the towpath at dawn and/or dusk to see if you can spot any needle bubbles that might give away the location of any tench.

GET UP VERY, VERY EARLY. For the best chance you need to be ready to fish by first light, I would suggest groundbait a suitable looking spot with a groundbait with a can of grated (yes GRATED) spam and a good few chopped up worms, the colour of the groundbait would depend on the clarity of the water. Unlike many I prefer cheap homemade bread based groundbaits dried white loaf crumbed if I think I can get away with it or toasted granary if the water is clear again turned into breadcrumb.

Line about 5lb to 6lb breaking strain depending on the number of snags you expect to encounter, I use a size 16 or sometimes a size 14 hook, dark coloured barbless on a 3lb or 4lb when you are more experienced you can switch to a lighter set up. Hookbait would be either about a third of the average sized garden worm or 3 or 4 pieces of grated spam. I know one Tench angler who prefers pieces of fried hotdog sausage for his Tench hook bait and I have had some success with strips of the dried polish pork and garlic sausage. Sweetcorn can work though, but if using sweetcorn remember to mix some up with your groundbait.

For preference I would float or float leger as I particularly enjoy that type of legering for Tench I like watching the float dance in the water before the eventual take.

DavyR QUOTE:"A lot depends on how many tench are in there, compared to the other species. My local canal (Macclesfield) also holds a few, but it's completely hit-or-miss whether or not you catch one. Any bait fished on or near the bottom has far more chance of being snaffled by a roach, bream, carp (or even a signal crayfish) before a tench gets a look-in.

It would probably be worth spending some time walking the towpath at dawn and/or dusk to see if you can spot any needle bubbles that might give away the location of any tench." END QUOTE

Has certainly got that right and given you some very good advice as has

rob4310 QUOTE"This is what works on my local canal in Birmingham and when I was a lad in Liverpool. Sweetcorn or bread (flake or punched). Fished about 4 to 6 in over depth with a float. 4 to 6lb line with 3-4 lb hooklink. Size 14 hook and used some corn and small pieces of bread as loose feed. Better at early evening and fishing down the central channel or just on the slope of the near side bank. On my canals thats just off the rod tip and just over the marginal weed. I tend to fish about a rod length to the side of me as well. So as I'm not disturbing the fish when moving around. Seems to work for me. But this is a narrow typical canal which has little boat traffic." END QUOTE

So much when river or canal fishing is to know your venue and learn all you can about your local water, there are many venues where evenings are better than mornings and others where morning or evening are just the same, I even know one that I have only ever caught Tench at lunchtime but that is rather unusual.

Best tip keep low be very quiet and patient. Wishing you success in your venture.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

GET UP VERY, VERY EARLY. For the best chance you need to be ready to fish by first light, I would suggest groundbait a suitable looking spot with a groundbait with a can of grated (yes GRATED) spam and a good few chopped up worms, the colour of the groundbait would depend on the clarity of the water. Unlike many I prefer cheap homemade bread based groundbaits dried white loaf crumbed if I think I can get away with it or toasted granary if the water is clear again turned into breadcrumb.

Line about 5lb to 6lb breaking strain depending on the number of snags you expect to encounter, I use a size 16 or sometimes a size 14 hook, dark coloured barbless on a 3lb or 4lb when you are more experienced you can switch to a lighter set up. Hookbait would be either about a third of the average sized garden worm or 3 or 4 pieces of grated spam. I know one Tench angler who prefers pieces of fried hotdog sausage for his Tench hook bait and I have had some success with strips of the dried polish pork and garlic sausage. Sweetcorn can work though, but if using sweetcorn remember to mix some up with your groundbait.

For preference I would float or float leger as I particularly enjoy that type of legering for Tench I like watching the float dance in the water before the eventual take.

DavyR QUOTE:"A lot depends on how many tench are in there, compared to the other species. My local canal (Macclesfield) also holds a few, but it's completely hit-or-miss whether or not you catch one. Any bait fished on or near the bottom has far more chance of being snaffled by a roach, bream, carp (or even a signal crayfish) before a tench gets a look-in.

It would probably be worth spending some time walking the towpath at dawn and/or dusk to see if you can spot any needle bubbles that might give away the location of any tench." END QUOTE

Has certainly got that right and given you some very good advice as has

rob4310 QUOTE"This is what works on my local canal in Birmingham and when I was a lad in Liverpool. Sweetcorn or bread (flake or punched). Fished about 4 to 6 in over depth with a float. 4 to 6lb line with 3-4 lb hooklink. Size 14 hook and used some corn and small pieces of bread as loose feed. Better at early evening and fishing down the central channel or just on the slope of the near side bank. On my canals thats just off the rod tip and just over the marginal weed. I tend to fish about a rod length to the side of me as well. So as I'm not disturbing the fish when moving around. Seems to work for me. But this is a narrow typical canal which has little boat traffic." END QUOTE

So much when river or canal fishing is to know your venue and learn all you can about your local water, there are many venues where evenings are better than mornings and others where morning or evening are just the same, I even know one that I have only ever caught Tench at lunchtime but that is rather unusual.

Best tip keep low be very quiet and patient. Wishing you success in your venture.

Thankyou for your advice everyone, its very useful :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."