Tethered fish

davedave

i always use that tube stuff with a running weight as id feel do guilty if i lost a fish an knew he was draging my rig around

Is there anything else you can do to stop fish getting tethered, i fish barbless hooks and use free running ledger rigs but is there any other things i can do to prevent it?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Is there anything else you can do to stop fish getting tethered, I fish barbless hooks and use free running ledger rigs but is there any other things I can do to prevent it?

There most definately is! and they are far better than pinning your faith on bits of plastic and tube that are sold as "safe" but often aren't!

First of all learn to cast safely! there is no excuse for the amount of snap offs a lot of modern carp anglers must have (judging by the amount of carp I catch towing gear on waters that are meant to be fished by serious carpers) Shock leaders to stop snapping of on the cast,snag/rubbing leaders to protect from abrasion and off course basic common sense by not fishing over bars at long range or indeed placing your bait/rig in such away that the chances of loosing it are high! In fact try learning a bit about the basics of all angling before going straight in with advanced methods and tackle (Not directing this at you by the way Dave just everyone in general who looses gear regularly!)

When you build a rig yes obviously make it as safe as possible but I really do think that the modern ethos of considering your self a good guy because when you have a break your rig falls apart/dumps the lead etc is wrong! we shouldn't be prepared to leave anything in the fish no matter if its "just" a hook and short hook length. For a lot of species (especially predators when treble hooks are being used) the only "safe" rig (IMO) is one that lands them so they can be returned without any hooks in them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

There most definately is! and they are far better than pinning your faith on bits of plastic and tube that are sold as "safe" but often aren't!

First of all learn to cast safely! there is no excuse for the amount of snap offs a lot of modern carp anglers must have (judging by the amount of carp I catch towing gear on waters that are meant to be fished by serious carpers) Shock leaders to stop snapping of on the cast,snag/rubbing leaders to protect from abrasion and off course basic common sense by not fishing over bars at long range or indeed placing your bait/rig in such away that the chances of loosing it are high! In fact try learning a bit about the basics of all angling before going straight in with advanced methods and tackle (Not directing this at you by the way Dave just everyone in general who looses gear regularly!)

When you build a rig yes obviously make it as safe as possible but I really do think that the modern ethos of considering your self a good guy because when you have a break your rig falls apart/dumps the lead etc is wrong! we shouldn't be prepared to leave anything in the fish no matter if its "just" a hook and short hook length. For a lot of species (especially predators when treble hooks are being used) the only "safe" rig (IMO) is one that lands them so they can be returned without any hooks in them.

thanks very much, thats very interesting!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."