Trotting for chub

jaypeegolf

I've found that on rivers like the upper Thames, Bristol Avon and possibly parts of the Warks Avon that if you want to catch chub by trotting then close in fishing is by and large a waste of time. The chub are often found underneath/alongside far bank cover like overhanging trees. The methods to catch them are either block-end feeder with maggots or casters, or if in range (max 25 yards) by using waggler floats with very little shot down the line and heavy feeding with maggots or casters. That probably means forget the 'pin! Legered cheese paste may also work.

That doesn't mean all the other advice is wrong but that it is more suited to other waters where the chub are found closer in or in mid river. On my local Dorset Stour there are many types of chub swim from ones similar to those on the upper Thames where far bank fishing is the only way to find the chub to much closer in gravel runs that can be trotted or legered.

I know chub can be a bit spooky Mark, but have you tried changing your socks more than once a year? :D

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep