Grey's Prodigy barbel rod

Pangolin

Does anyone own one? IYCF rate it very highly as the best feeder/quivertip rod they've ever tested, but IYCF always seem to push Grey's rods. I need a new feeder rod, and this one, if I bought it, would be twice the price of any other rod I own. I'd appreciate a second opinion.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

Re: Grey's Prodigy barbel rod : I need a new feeder rod, and this one, if I bought it, would be twice the price of any other rod I own. I'd appreciate a second opinion.

I rate these rods and own three (one barbel & two carp). I paid a tad under 80 quid each (brand new) ... does this mean that your other rods cost less than 40 quid?

If you're worried about the price, have a look at the JW MAsterline equivalents.

DG

Yes, DG, I am a cheapskate! The RRP on the Prodigy barbel is £99: I guess I might get it cheaper if I shop around. I do normally pay around fifty quid for a rod, though. My last purchase, a Daiwa Sensor carp rod, cost £33, and it's a lovely piece of kit!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

the greys rod do look good, i'm not sure whether to get one of those, or the fox or drennan equivalent. i have a greys missionary fly rod and its the business so i may go for the greys barbel rod

The new greys stuff is great. I have the missionary fly rod as well and also the heavy missionary spinning rod. Both excellent. My wife had the wading jacket which is super quality. The two GRX Saltwater fly rods we have are also excellent value for money for the occasional saltwater pike fly angler.

They are not made in the Hardy factory but the hard QA and design input is plain to see.

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

The RRP on the Prodigy barbel is £99: I guess I might get it cheaper if I shop around. I do normally pay around fifty quid for a rod, though. My last purchase, a Daiwa Sensor carp rod, cost £33, and it's a lovely piece of kit!

I didn't mean to imply that you're a tight-wad. There's nothing wrong and everything right about being careful with your money. That way you don't get ripped-off.

You can definitely get the Prodigy rods for much less than the Recommended Rip-off Price, if you shop around.

Otherwise, like I said, have a look at Masterline's equivalents.

Your Daiwa sounds a steal at that price, so maybe that's your best bet i.e. to get another one of the same.

DG

[ 18. April 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]