Quivertip Bites

luckydenvermint

If you are using a feeder they could well be ''nudging'' the feeder around or displacing it.

I recently had this problem and found that of 6-7 drop backs only one resulted in a small Common Carp.... I decided to try a new tactic though..... If the drop back was only slight, I tightened up the line gently to create another curve in the rod and waited, most times the rod then went again resulting in a fish pretty promptly.

Of course most of it is trial and error. Its a true fact that some subtle drop backs can result in fantastic fish! So not striking them could be a bad move, but then again striking when a group of feeding fish are nudging your feeder can also lose you some nice fish and spook them.

My current feeder is pretty heavy and also flat bottomed. This means that if the fish sucks in the short hooklength it almost instantly feels the resistance and bolts creating an instant rod bending take. Also the weighty flat bottomed feeder prevents it from being knocked hardly at all by something not touching the hook bait.

A standard rounded ledger though doesn't take much to knock down a slight slope, or to roll a little if something brushes the line... So maybe try a flat in-line method instead??? And if the drop backs continue you can then be confident that each one is almost certainly worth striking.

Since changing to the Flat feeder I have noticed a large decline in little knocks/drop backs. And a better hook rate. I just ignore the rod until it slams round (Normally doesn't take long) and lift and play the fish. I will add though that my bait doesn't seem to attract the smaller fish at all though, so if I do get interest its normally larger and therefore more aggressive in its takes... ''Fine ledgering'' for course fish i am sure would use completely different tactics in regards to subtle knocks/drop backs.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

If you are using a feeder they could well be ''nudging'' the feeder around or displacing it.

I recently had this problem and found that of 6-7 drop backs only one resulted in a small Common Carp.... I decided to try a new tactic though..... If the drop back was only slight, I tightened up the line gently to create another curve in the rod and waited, most times the rod then went again resulting in a fish pretty promptly.

Of course most of it is trial and error. Its a true fact that some subtle drop backs can result in fantastic fish! So not striking them could be a bad move, but then again striking when a group of feeding fish are nudging your feeder can also lose you some nice fish and spook them.

My current feeder is pretty heavy and also flat bottomed. This means that if the fish sucks in the short hooklength it almost instantly feels the resistance and bolts creating an instant rod bending take. Also the weighty flat bottomed feeder prevents it from being knocked hardly at all by something not touching the hook bait.

A standard rounded ledger though doesn't take much to knock down a slight slope, or to roll a little if something brushes the line... So maybe try a flat in-line method instead??? And if the drop backs continue you can then be confident that each one is almost certainly worth striking.

Since changing to the Flat feeder I have noticed a large decline in little knocks/drop backs. And a better hook rate. I just ignore the rod until it slams round (Normally doesn't take long) and lift and play the fish. I will add though that my bait doesn't seem to attract the smaller fish at all though, so if I do get interest its normally larger and therefore more aggressive in its takes... ''Fine ledgering'' for course fish i am sure would use completely different tactics in regards to subtle knocks/drop backs.

Some good advice there, I am at the moment using a rounded ledger so I will definitely give the inline a go. Interestingly I was using good chunks of luncheon meat which seems to pretty much rule out the smaller fish. On Monday using curried luncheon meat I caught Carp, Bream, Roach, Chub and Perch - all of a decent size. The luncheon meat is so versatile! :)