Baitrunner / Alarm Buying Advice

luckydenvermint

Usually fish one rod or pole but would like to fish two rods on a couple of ponds.

I've already got a decent Carp rod but rarely use it so was thinking about buying a 'baitrunner' reel and a bite alarm and setting that up to target some of the bigger fish whilst still being able to float fish on another rod.

Not got a massive budget, about £60-70 for both items, can I get anything reliable on this budget?

Thanks in advance,

Lucky

I use bite alarms occasionally when i go for carp, personally i use cheap and cheerful ones, at the end of the day all they do is beep when the wire or roller moves, im buggered if im paying 50 quid for that. I only have one, a bite alarm from lidls that cost 8 pounds, used it loads of times and always works fine, had several fish off it and works perfectly.

If you want something a bit more posh ive heard the fox warrior bite alarms are good and very very reliable, for about £20 if you look around.

You might also be interested to know that if you subscribe to improve your coarse fishing magazine for a year you get free pair of bite alarms with the pod thing, might be good, honestly dont know just remember seeing it in there, its a pretty good mag as well!

Hope this helps, davedave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Hi mate, I used £5-£10 bite alarms for years but I had a couple that didn't like the rain. It wasn't much fun doing night sessions not knowing if your alarms are working or not so invested in some fox eos alarms at about £35 each. They have done me the last couple of years very well and I would recomend them. If you are only fishing days then a cheaper alarm will do the job for now though.

For a reel have a look at the budget Okuma reels. I bought three big pit baitrunners of theirs for less than £30 each and they are brilliant.

Leave only footprints

Hi mate, I used £5-£10 bite alarms for years but I had a couple that didn't like the rain. It wasn't much fun doing night sessions not knowing if your alarms are working or not so invested in some fox eos alarms at about £35 each. They have done me the last couple of years very well and I would recomend them. If you are only fishing days then a cheaper alarm will do the job for now though.

For a reel have a look at the budget Okuma reels. I bought three big pit baitrunners of theirs for less than £30 each and they are brilliant.

Thanks for the info guys,

Bought the Fox Warrior Micron bite alarm for about £19.

On the baitrunner I'm currently looking at Okuma Undertaker/Interceptor, the TF Gear Force 8 or the masterline John Wilson reel.

Is the Matt Hayes TF Gear any good? also the John Wilson one seems a bit too much of a bargain at £12.

Hi mate tryCLICK HERE for Bite Alarms very good quality made in uk

recommended and used by some of this forums users including myself.

Try EBay Plenty of Okuma Bait feeder Reels Various models and good prices

i have been using Okuma's for about 10 years not had any faults ,

they come with a 5 year warranty, BTW Okuma make most of the components for Shimano

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Hi mate tryCLICK HERE for Bite Alarms very good quality made in uk

recommended and used by some of this forums users including myself.

Try EBay Plenty of Okuma Bait feeder Reels Various models and good prices

i have been using Okuma's for about 10 years not had any faults ,

they come with a 5 year warranty, BTW Okuma make most of the components for Shimano

Thanks Peter, just ordered a GF alarm as well as the fox one.

looking into the reels now.

Usually fish one rod or pole but would like to fish two rods on a couple of ponds.

I've already got a decent Carp rod but rarely use it so was thinking about buying a 'baitrunner' reel and a bite alarm and setting that up to target some of the bigger fish whilst still being able to float fish on another rod.

Not got a massive budget, about £60-70 for both items, can I get anything reliable on this budget?

Thanks in advance,

Lucky

Hiya,

I only recently (this summer) took up some casual carp fishing.

I was also in need of a baitrunner and alarm set-up, so turned to E-bay.

With the budget you've set yourself, which is similar to mine, you should easily get what you need.

I found a Shimano 8010 Baitrunner (near mint) for £45, and 2 Micron alarms for £21.

Depends just how serious you want to get,but I've had no trouble at all with either.

I also bought the 6010 model for about the same price, so had a 2 rod set-up for just over £100!

Could've spent more but why???I'm here to be shot down by the 'Carpies', but if my cheapish alarm tells me I've got a run then it's done it's job hasn't it?

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

In life we all have an unspeakable secret, an irreversible regret, an unreachable dream and an unforgettable love.

Not sure about buying a used reel, would prefer to buy new - not used a good baitrunner before and I wouldn't be able to tell if it was working well or not.

I've narrowed it down to;

Daiwa Regal 4000 Bri

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Daiwa-Regal-Free-run...=item230aa2b097

TF Gear Freespool 5000

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TF-Gear-Power-Freesp...=item4cf21eaeaa

Okuma Interceptor

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Okuma-Inte...=item35ac9d5cf8

The Shimano's do look fantastic but seem to be just out of budget.

Which would you guys go for out of the top 3? or feel free to throw something else into the ring, looking to order the reel within the next day or two.

shimano 1 year warranty

Okuma 5 years warranty

no contest

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif