info st patricks stream

mark bateman

mark i have only fished it once (and blanked)but it is said to hold a good head of chub and barbel.i would look to go with either a maggot feeder or straight lead over a bed of hemp .i know some of the other posters on here fish it more than me so maybe they will help .good luck big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

Guest Fred Guttfield

The St. Pats can be a very tricky barbel water, so I wouldn't target them during a match- instead go for chub or even bream (there are a few pockets in there).

Obviously it depends on which swim you draw, but I'd go for chub. Keep lots of maggots going in with a feeder, maybe for an hour, without putting any on the hook, and then haul them out!

Tight lines.

Fred

Depends where you draw Mark. There are others here who will have more up-to-date info than me, but I have seen matches won with 32lb of dace. The roach are few and far between, but do show sometimes. It's true, St. Pat's is becoming known as a barbel venue, but if conditions aren't right for them, not many will be caught. Chub are more likely to win most matches there. I wouldn't go all out on the feeder, most matches there are won on the float. Apparently, it's very weedy at the moment, but if you can find a nice run through you should catch. Don't make the mistake of feeding too much too soon. Some people try to feed off the smaller fish and then the big fish don't show. Start steadily and up the feed in the latter part of the match. Obviously, if you catch chub or bream early you can all out for it. Keep an eye on the area where your feed is going in, the chub come right up under it. You will need at least twenty pounds to frame if it fishes well.

I seem to recall someone mentioning that it was suffering from signal crayfish as well, so you may need a mobile or rock hard bait

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.