Barbed or Barbless

SAMTENCH

This has been a big topic over the last few years and alot of fisherys (i heard) now ban barbless hooks because they make people put to much presure to keep the fish on the hook. I was wondering if anyone know wat is happening now?

Yup. What is happening now is the debate continues and most will argue for their preference and pay very little attention to information that does not fit with their preference.

I know the norm is to ban barbed hooks on many fisheries but can't figure out if this is based on evidence or just "what everyone is doing".

I have noticed some fisheries putting partial bans on barbless and requiring barbs in some cases. Since these decisions go against "conventional wisdom", I suspect they are based on evidence of some sort.

Check thru the posts by Steve Burke. He has a barbed-only rule for some hooks on his lakes and he posted a good explanation of why he made the change away from barbless or angler's-choice.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President