Whip me good!

Tim Kelly

The kids next door want to go fishing this summer holidays and I have volunteered my services. I fancy taking them to a club water that's supposed to be easy for small silver fish. I haven't done any bait fishing since I was a kid and fancy using a couple of whips to cut down on tangles etc with the kids. I have no idea how to rig the line onto the whip or what sort of breaking strain line is appropriate. Can anyone provide an idiot proof set of instructions for me. The plan is to get them fishing close together and constantly feed a few maggots and fish with a lightly shotted float to allow for takes on the drop.

Thanks for youe help

Tim

3m to 5m whip fished to hand in a depth of 3 to 5 feet is ideal. I'd use 2.5 or 3lb main line with 1.5 - 2lb hooklength to a barbless 20 hook, although if they're absolute beginners maybe go for an 18 for easier baiting.

I'd be inclined to make up a few rigs before you go so that if you have any problms you can simply take off the old rig and replace it straightaway. You can always make more if you need them on the bank, but a couple of spares will cut down on frustration. Assuming you have a stonfo-type connector on your whip then make the rigs with a loop on the end and this loop simply slips onto the stonfo and the sleeve locks it in place.

Unless you're fishing very shallow I'd set it up with a small waggler float, but not so small that a light wind will make it difficult to catch it when you swing it in. I like small Drennan Crystals or something like a Middy Canal Grey, Drennan Canal Waggler or a Stillwater Blue. Don't be afraid to put a bigish float on as it will make it easier for them to control - a 2 or 3 BB float is ideal with the bulk locking the float and a couple of No.8 & 10's down the line. If you are fishing very shallow water then I'd go for a Drennan Crystal Dibber float but still in a fairly chunky size - beginners, wind and light rigs do not mix!

I'd recommend that you aim to start them fishing just off bottom (1/2 inch to 1 inch) as all bites should be fairly positive. You can shallow up later if required, but at this depth they should catch a few trusty gudgeon if nothing else. For bait I'd recommend mixed pinkees (red, white & disco if possible) plus a sloppy cloud groundbait. I'd start them on double pinkee and get them used to casting regularly and feeding a few pinkees and a small ball of groundbait each cast (take a towel for hand wiping!). Once you get the fish going then a few big maggots will be useful to try and pick out a few of the better fish. You've got to keep them active though else they'll get bored.

Some other advice gained from experience (they may sound obvious but they work):

Don't plan for more than 3 hours unless it's going amazingly well.

Don't fish yourself - devote the day to teaching them. They'll learn more from your exerience if you demonstrate the technique and then coach them full time which you can't do if you're 10 yards down the bank fishing.

Make sure they're comfortable before you start.

Try and keep any explanations very simple, but always explain why they should do something (or not) - don't lay down the law. You need to get them thinking constructively not blindly following.

Show them what to do and then let them get on with it. Let them learn from their own mistakes but not to the extent that they get frustrated and be there immediately for them should they need you.

Try and keep your hands off their rod if you can . Sometimes it means sitting on your hands but try and gently talk them round their problem rather than grab it and make them feel inadequate (a fault of many many parents I think).

Get them feeding regularly but try not to be a nag about it.

Be prepared for them to be scared of the fish. Don't laugh if this is the case - let them learn about the fish in their own time.

Give them a disgorger each on a string round their necks. Show them as clearly as you can how to use it on the early fish and try and get them doing it themselves as soon as possible.

Be prepared for the first few fish to go airborne.

Praise them wherever possible.

Enjoy yourself!

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Slightly shorter to allow for the bend when you have a fish on, but only maybe 6 inches to a foot shorter than the whip itself. You want it so when you swing it in you can easily catch a fish in your left hand in a comfortable position, but you must be able to do the same without the weight of a fish on as well. Hope that made sense.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.