"Artificially stocked pools"

Guest Jase

Lately there seems to be a lot more "man made" lakes and pools around. From a personal point of view I find it's ruined slightly by a knowledge the the fish have been stocked, and there is information about exactly what is in them, for example "carp to 20 pounds". Personally, I like the challenge of finding out, and discovery, and do think, for me, it spoils it a bit. An older mature lake or pool, leaves a certain element of unknown, and expectation. Don't get me wrong, I think the more stocked pools around the better and in years to come the benefits will be reaped, it's just the fact that somebody has placed these fish in, and the angler in effect makes the second discovery of them when (s)he catches them. I'm that up on fish breeding frequencies and growth rates, maybe someone could help a little here. Anyone else feel a bit like me, and the is the fun of angling, just about catching and reeling in fish, or does anyone feel a bit like me, that there is a lot to be said for discovery ?

Guest BUDGIE

Jase, I love man-made,muddy,hole in the ground,commercial carp fisheries! They are superb for bait snatching!OOOOPS (I feel several bans comming on!) tongue.gif

Guest Eddie

Where else can pensioners and other breadline wage earners get a good days sport and enough food for the next month! Anyone got any good carp recipes, don`t suggest a pinch of "Basil", it was hard enough catching Heather!

Guest DonRamos

I think it all basically depends on what you enjoy about all the different aspects of fishing.

I like nothing more than to fish on an old estate lake, with no idea whether there are any monsters in the depths, but on the other hand when I fish matches I want to know that a) there are fish in the water and B) what type and roughly what size they are.

If you enjoy the discovery part of angling then stick with it. More and more now-a-days people just want to pay £4 - 10 per day to bag up using whatever methods they like, and densely stocked day ticket waters are just the place to do so.

Each to there own - I suppose confused.gif

Tight Lines - DonRamos

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, if you think about it even these old estate lakes were once artificially stocked pools.

I've fished an estate lake where there's talk of monsters in the deep, but only to find out that all of the carp had been removed some years before!

I like to know what I'm after, even if I blank, the thought of a personal best swimming over my bait gives me that drive to keep returning to that particular water.

However, I do prefer mature lakes with a bit of history to the stocking and not new lakes stocked with just twenties.

As others have said, each to their own.

All the best,

Gaffer. wink.gif