Shoping spree

TommoNewton

since i have a lot of money recently heres what i brought from a tackle shop today ( and other stuff )

big thick coat

thermal socks

disgorger

3 chub floats

offord & buckden membership

size 22 hooks

sweet

tommo.

You do realise that I will be the one blamed for you buying such small/light hooks...aside from that looks like you have had a good time...and a great spend up...does the club have a website? maybe even a chat room if so introduce yourself and explain you are new to angling and want to learn.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

You do realise that I will be the one blamed for you buying such small/light hooks...aside from that looks like you have had a good time...and a great spend up...does the club have a website? maybe even a chat room if so introduce yourself and explain you are new to angling and want to learn.

they have a website but it just has basic info , and they do a report sometimes , last one was 2007

and sorry size 20's * i meant.

Peterborough United Fc

they have a website but it just has basic info , and they do a report sometimes , last one was 2007

and sorry size 20's * i meant.

hehehe...size 20's that's nearly as bad for most on here...me I fish light very very light...when you are learning you may get broken or snapped lines, but if you don't try to bully the fish or just winch the fish out you wont do too bad. a firm quick strike, but think how far does the hook have to move not far if you keep your line fairly straight and are in fairly close contact with your hookbait, so long as you do that there is no need for wild massive actions on the strike just a simple movement of the wrist and as you are fairly young forearm. When your muscles really develop not in size but in regular usage of striking you will find how little effort and movement is needed to hook a fish.

always keep the clutch on the reel fairly soft so the fish can take line off the reel with ease if it wants too, even if its a small fish. Once the fish is hooked on your hook, if it wants to run a bit let it, just use a finger or your other hand put some pressure on the reel just enough to stop the fish from taking the line too easily from your reel. But don't stop it completely, that way you should minimise breakages and lost tackle. You can give some line just by lowering your rod, then as the fish takes less raise the rod which will put pressure on the fish and bring the rod into play (the rod should begin to curve slightly perhaps even a lot). Then as you lower your rod and the rod begins to straighten wind in some line onto your reel and repeat this process soon the fish will be at the top of the water. However if the fish starts to resist your efforts too much let it have a bit of line then start the process again its all about playing the fish (which basically means gradually wearing the fish out until its too tired to resist your efforts).

Edited by watatoad

hehehe...size 20's that's nearly as bad for most on here...me I fish light very very light...when you are learning you may get broken or snapped lines, but if you don't try to bully the fish or just winch the fish out you wont do too bad. a firm quick strike, but think how far does the hook have to move not far if you keep your line fairly straight and are in fairly close contact with your hookbait, so long as you do that there is no need for wild massive actions on the strike just a simple movement of the wrist and as you are fairly young forearm. When your muscles really develop not in size but in regular usage of striking you will find how little effort and movement is needed to hook a fish.

always keep the clutch on the reel fairly soft so the fish can take line off the reel with ease if it wants too, even if its a small fish. Once the fish is hooked on your hook, if it wants to run a bit let it, just use a finger or your other hand put some pressure on the reel just enough to stop the fish from taking the line too easily from your reel. But don't stop it completely, that way you should minimise breakages and lost tackle. You can give some line just by lowering your rod, then as the fish takes less raise the rod which will put pressure on the fish and bring the rod into play (the rod should begin to curve slightly perhaps even a lot). Then as you lower your rod and the rod begins to straighten wind in some line onto your reel and repeat this process soon the fish will be at the top of the water. However if the fish starts to resist your efforts too much let it have a bit of line then start the process again its all about playing the fish (which basically means gradually wearing the fish out until its too tired to resist your efforts).

thanks for the advice , can i ask , whats a clutch

Peterborough United Fc

Ahh! what reel do you have?

On most fixed spool reels there is usually a small wheel/knob/nut which when tightened or loosened allows a fish or you to pull line off the spool (on a fixed spool - where the line is wrapped around) if you bought the reel from a local tackle shop go back there and ask them to show you how the clutch works. On fixed spool reels the clutch can be either at the front or at the rear of the fishing reel.

this may be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_reel even if only for the pic.