Long dirty rain coats, by Mac.

I like that.

Taking things away from the bankside?

You are not the original Pac a Mac, Mac, are you

G

[This message has been edited by Graham E (edited 07 May 2000).]

Guest RobStubbs

Leon,

Mono may degrade in a few months but all that means is it weakens. It is still just as harmful for wildlife and will be for years. Like I said we removed it from trees and it was years old - still almost cut through the flesh trying to break it. On a different note most places I fish have banned braid totally. You have the less cushioning/more damage as well as the thinner diameter potentially cutting fish.

Mac,

Can't agree that we are dirty, and in my experience we're not even that bad. But whether we are or not, if we just accept it and say people are beyond educating then we deserve to loose our fisheries. I wouldn't put up with people leaving rubbish everywhere if I were a fishery owner either. By the sound of it, if nothing is done more fisheries will be lost - the choice is yours.

Rob.

Guest Mac

Rob,

“Can't agree that we are dirty, and in my experience we're not even that bad”

On that point we will just have to agree to differ.

“if we just accept it and say people are beyond educating then we deserve to loose our fisheries”

It is not a case of accepting people are beyond educating, its more a case of a section of the angling public simply not giving a toss, a sizable minority unfortunately. Your faith in human nature is obviously a lot more robust than mine!

“the choice is yours”

I think that’s a bit cheeky coming from such a 'young lad'(tongue very firmly in cheek) -I made my choice a long time ago, and have continually attempted to ‘educate’ as best I can. I wish I had a penny for every time I have cleared up after other ‘anglers’, the nature of the litter puts that beyond dispute. The fact remains “litter looses fishing”! The majority of anglers know this and act accordingly however; a minority of anglers also know this but don’t give a toss – and unfortunately for the rest of us, never will! This is more prevalent on large waters such as L.Awe, L.Lomond L.Ken etc where policing is more difficult, or other waters where the fishing is either free or generally unregulated. As to commercial fisheries such as you have down south, I would not know.

Are the public in general more socially aware re matters such as litter? I’m not so sure.

Mac (having thrown away the rose tinted spectacles a long time ago)

[This message has been edited by Mac (edited 08 May 2000).]

Guest Gaffer

As you both said it is a small minority that leaves litter.These people,I think,are beyond re-education,these are the ones who should be banned,kicked off fisheries for good.Fishing is one of a few sports which involves such an intrusion on nature one way or another.Litter can tip the balance,in some cases life or death,for fish and wildlife.We all know this,but what makes people walk away from a swim knowing they've left litter?

Judging by what's been said so far,we'll never know,but people like yourselves picking up the litter and firm policing should make our sport a cleaner one.

Gaffer.

Guest RobStubbs

Mac,

I can fully see where you're coming from and I suspect on the places you fish policing/bailiffing is a nightmare. I'm probably spoiled down here but then I've chosen to, more or less, only fish syndicates and the odd club water. It costs me a lot but I don't have to worry about litter, tackle thefts etc.

Whatever happens it is shameful that fishing will continue to be lost because of the mindless few.

Rob.