Coarse man tries a fly!

Guest Graham E

Guest Graham E

Well, i've bitten the bullet and invested in my first fly fishing session at Felix Farm trout lake just by Maidenhead, Thursday week.

I have booked an hours tuition and a days fishing. Have any of you other coarse fishers tried casting the fur. Is it easy or hard. Anyone around then to give moral support?

Any advice on the water / flies.

I don't want to be a complete dodo.

Guest Hammy
Originally posted by Graham E:

Well, i've bitten the bullet and invested in my first fly fishing session at Felix Farm trout lake just by Maidenhead, Thursday week.

I have booked an hours tuition and a days fishing. Have any of you other coarse fishers tried casting the fur. Is it easy or hard. Anyone around then to give moral support?

Any advice on the water / flies.

I don't want to be a complete

dodo.

I dabble in all kinds of fishing , coarse , sea and game . Pound for pound , I don't think that you will get a better fight than an overwintered trout , so enjoy .

One tip is to let the rod do the work , you don't have to exert much pressure to cast any distance , but you brain will tell you that you do .

The fly in most cases is irrelevant , it's the way you retrieve it that will bring success .

Keep us informed of your progress .

Hammy .

Guest www.gifr.co.uk

I did my first fly session in April ... just remember ... be gentle with the rope that you're casting with ... you have to look after the backwards stroke too (ooooh Matron!)

If you make the thing crack like a whip you're being too enthusiastic on the forward stroke ...

The casting weight is along the line and not at the end of it ... be prepared for some style changes.

It's fun though !!!

Ian

www.gifr.co.uk

Guest Badger

You'll find casting a fly very very strange but it's great fun. I went to Ladybower reservoir in Derbyshire at the weekend ( a bit different to my usual carping adventures in the South!) Anyone can cast a fly but to do it well would take yeasr of practise i imagine. one tip: remeber to wear some glasses, polaroids preferably. They will protect your eyes and help you spot the fish.

Oh yeah, dont get too confident in your ability. I did, went for a monster cast into a crosswind and hooked my face!! I do love the sweet caress of a size 10!!!!!

Good Luck

Dave.

Guest Graham E

Thank you to those of you that replied with advice.

Well the day was FANTASTIC.

I invested in a mk11 Bob Church reservoir 10footer and a few flies. The Lake owner came along and gave me 20mins to help with the cast and the retrieve(more important)techniques. Explaining that it was 30 feet deep in places(my leaving for a few seconds, only got the intermediate line down to 5 feet!)

Well keen to put my new found skills to the test I went out in a boat and within 20mins was into a 2lb rainbow!

I then managed 3 more fish over 3lb with the best near 4lb. Of course now I was an expert, Helping the other fishless boats with fly selection! Two boats without a fish managed 3 within the hour on my lent fly!

Anyway I finished with 6 taken a 4 returned as well as this expert missing 6 more rattling takes before realising the fly was tangled upside down on the cast.

Great sport. The chap who was supposed to teach me casting did not show but, what the hell, who needs help.........( I have now assured a blank next time.

I would recommend any devout coarse fishers give this fluff tossing a go it was great sport.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Graham E:

I would recommend any devout coarse fishers give this fluff tossing a go it was great sport.

'Ere, you, get over to the other Forum tongue.gif

Well done, though!!

All the best,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk