Swing tip rods

Guest DonRamos

Guest DonRamos

I have been interested in buying a Swing Tip rod for a few years now, but I have always been aprehensive.

Can anybody explain to me the virtues of swing tipping over other legering methods (eg quiver tipping), and possibly recommend a good make of swing tip rod (not too expensive please)

Thanks - DonRamos

Guest Jonty

I think that the main (and possibly just about the only ) advantage of a swingtip over a quivertip is that there is far less build-up of resistance to the taking fish with a swingtip than with a quivertip. With the quiver, the more the fish pulls, the more tension there is pulling back against it - this does not (normally) happen with a swingtip.

But there are also disadvantages to using a swingtip, not least of which is the increased potential for tangles when casting - you do need a very smooth style.

Maybe the best of both worlds would be to use a very soft, fibreglass for preference, quivertip.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris S

As far as I am concerned if you look into the mechanics of it and do some tests yourself any bite indicater that is in front of the rod tip must be more sensitive then one anywhere else back towards the reel. Infact the further back towards the reel it is the less sensitive it gets.

How many carp anglers do you know that use a swingtip or a float because thats in front of the rod tip too ?

Makes you wonder does it not.

Chris S smile.gif

Guest Jonty

Chris

Len Arbery was famous for the use of swingtips when carp fishing, especially at Redmire Pool !! - and I am sure that he is not the only one !!

Guest Chris S
Originally posted by Jonty:

Chris

Len Arbery was famous for the use of swingtips when carp fishing, especially at Redmire Pool !! - and I am sure that he is not the only one !!

Yes I know but how many do you see today ?

Chris S