Trout Pellets

Guest Gaffer

Guest Gaffer

It's been said for a while now that trout pellets used in large quantities are harmfull to fish.

I am mainly refering to carp here, as it has been the carping press that brought it to my attention.

I beleive it's the fatty acids, but don't fully understand.

Is there anyone out there that can explain the theories which have led to these worries?

Gaffer.

Guest dave k
Originally posted by Gaffer:

It's been said for a while now that trout pellets used in large quantities are harmfull to fish.

I am mainly refering to carp here, as it has been the carping press that brought it to my attention.

I beleive it's the fatty acids, but don't fully understand.

Is there anyone out there that can explain the theories which have led to these worries?

Gaffer.

Guest DonRamos

I believe that how it works is that Trout Pellets are extremely high in fat and low in protein (or it might be the other way round), which is good for feeding Trout on so they grow fast, which is obviously beneficial to Trout Farms.

Unfortunately, the composition of Trout Pellets is the exact opposite of what course fish require for a healthy diet. Subsequently, Trout Pellets fed in large quantities can cause course fish to become unhealthy and eventually lead to death. This is not to say that the pellets kill the fish outright, but unhealthy fish are more likely to be attacked by predators, be they Pike or Zander, Cormorants etc.

My club has a blanket ban on Trout Pellets, and if this scientific evidence is 100% correct, I think that other clubs may be wise to follow suit.

DonRamos

Guest DonRamos

A mate of mine studied Aquaculture at Uni, so I'll get him to log on tonight and give you all the scientific mumbo jumbo.

DonRamos

[This message has been edited by DonRamos (edited 23 May 2000).]

Guest RobStubbs

Don,

The situation is a fair bit more complicated than 'trout pellets harm carp'. I would go as far as to say they don't unless they are missused. Trout pellets can have a high oil content which can in turn lead to harm to fish. Now there are many different types of trout pellets with different oil and protein compositions. Also oils are only really harmful when they have oxidised and become rancid (are old).

What has never been proven or even shown is that oils harm carp or that trout pellets harm carp. Now you could say why risk it ? But then the same has been said for nuts, pulses, boilies and in fact just about everything we use as baits (including maggot dyes you may remember).

I personally would prefer to use trout pellets in moderation until (if) anything is ever proven.

Rob.

Guest DonRamos

Rob,

I can agree with the fact that trout pellets in moderation probably do not cause an abundance of damage to fish, but this is not what the issue is for me.

Responsible anglers such as yourself will quite willingly use trout pellets, or any other bait for that matter in moderation. I think my club is trying to insure against the minority (and I sincerely hope it is a minority) of anglers that may misuse trout pellets, potentially ruining the fishing for others.

Problem is, it's difficult for fisheries or clubs to stop ths misuse of any bait, so imposing a blanket ban is a effective, if not a little harse way of stopping it.

DonRamos

Guest RobStubbs

Don,

A blanket ban is one approach although I see it as being a little draconian. Surely it's better to educate the anglers so as not to get the same problems with any other bait or method ? Like I said most things are OK in moderation but taken to extreme can be harmful.

As I said nothing has been proven re. trouts and the issue has been known for many years. The problem is no-one is ever going to fund any research on this or any other bait issues.

My concern is that the club are setting themselves a precedent and will have to act likewise with many other problems in the future. Most of these being hyped up by the press for a 'story'.

There's a few other bait related issues I know of that have been investigated but if your club were to act as above you would end up only fishing a bare hook.

Rob.

Guest DonRamos

Rob,

True, true, I hear what you are saying. I'm the first to admit that my club may be a little behind the times.

Education in angling is a great idea, and sites and forum's such as this one go a long way to educate people about a multitude of angling issues.

Perhaps it's time I challenged the club over this particular bait ban (though I am pretty sure what the answer will be)

Thanks - DonRamos

Guest Graham E

I am an angler that errs on the side of caution. As soon as there was some disquiet regarding trout pellets and the fatty acid content I changed to pellets made for carp. There was quite a debate in the angling press regards this matter with many coming out against trout pellets. I know a couple of major manufactureres/distributors changed the pellet makeup.

Regarding bans.. Some many years ago hemp was banned on a club water I fished until an eminent fish man /DR Franklin I think / said there was no problem and in fact the hard shells/husks aided digestion as all fish need roughage to digest food in the gut.

Having said that better safe than sorry.