River Severn

Guest daveholmes

Guest daveholmes

I am going fishing for a few days, with a good friend of mine. We would dearly love to search out some good sized Barbel.We have been told that the Severn holds some very nice doubles.(my best is 10-04oz. from the Swale at Topcliffe, Yorkshire.) We would like to find a spot where we can stay for 2 to 3 days, and fish through. Can any of you fellow fishermen/women help, by giving us a location on the Severn? Further North the better. Thankyou for reading this note.

Guest davidP

Shrewsbury is probably about as far north as you could go - above there I don't think you'd have a big chance of a double. Atcham (just south of Shrewsbury) has a good reputation and I know some of the barbel clubs visit for get togethers there.

Telford AA have several lengths with good barbel - I personally used to fish on Buildwas Powerstation but I think the better option for a double would be Buildwas No 1 or the waters below Ironbridge, Davies Field & Sweyneycliffe especially. I haven't fished these waters for about 2 years however so I'm a little out of date. If you want to e-mail me privately I can give contacts for most of the above and local tackle dealer phone numbers.

I've never fished the Severn any further south than this, but go 15 miles further and you're into Bridgenorth where the huge match bags are reported each summer. Birmingham AA have a lot of water down there so maybe contact them.

Guest Steve Burke

It's on the Warks. Avon rather than the Severn but check out Manor Farm Leisure in the Hereford/Worcs. section of the Angler's Net fishery pages. The local barbel record is 14lbs 6ozs and both day tickets and accomodation are available.