cold b***s

Guest matchman

Guest fisherking

The Sundridge Polar Suit is the HOTTEST Suit I have ever used,in fact even in the harshest conditions it is too warm.still availible mail order at half price.I think I paid £80-00.

John.

Guest RobStubbs

I've got a wychwood suit and that's good and the Nash ones are meant to be very good. Does depend on how waterproof and breatheable you want it (goretex etc).

Rob.

Guest Jonty

On the last Thursday of the season me an' the nephew went down to the Severn at Sheinton - it was cold, blowing a gale and absolutely p**sing it down. So I persuaded him that it was worthwhile making a small detour (about 60 miles, actually !), so that I could treat myself to some decent wet-weather gear. My Nash quilted bivvy suit is ok in the dry, but a definite no-no in the wet.

So, we trotted off to Stapely Angling, near Nantwich, Cheshire, and I bought a Sundridge HeavyWeight two-piece suit. Cost? - £85. Value ?? - immeasurable !! a stonking bit of kit!! - Due to the Severn being in flood, we had to sit at the top of the bank, exposed to all the wet and wind. I stayed warm and dry all day.

I was on the Dane on the Friday, and back on the Severn on the Monday and Tuesday, and was again grateful for the warmth and water-repellent properties of the suit.

Matt, `the nephew`, has a Sundridge one-piece which he has always sworn by, but is now not so sure that he took the best option. With a two-piece, at least if weather conditions improve you can always take off the jacket - and I can fish in waders and jacket, whereas with a one-piece it is very doubtful if you would ever get the waders on !!

The final decision is yours, of course, but it would take something rather special to make me change from the two-piece now that I have actually seen (and felt) the benefits.

Jonty

Guest Steve Burke

I agree with Jonty, give me a 2 piece any day. Quite apart from just wearing the jacket on a cool day, it also means that you can wear just the leggings when you're going through long wet grass or nettles. If you get saloppes as the ski crowd call them or bib and braces as some tackle shops do, you'll be as warm as in a 1 piece, and IMO more comfortable because of the increased movement.

I'd also strongly suggest you buy an unlined suit as then you can wear it in summer rain and stay dry and cool. That is providing you get a suit that breathes, which IMO is well worth the extra. Additionally wearing a fleece underneath is often warmer than a lined suit as air is trapped between the layers. I gather eskimos have used this layer idea for generations - and they should know!

I got involved a few years ago with a mountaineering firm in developing clothing for angling. They produced some excellent samples for me to field test but the cost was too high for the project to proceed. However, I've recently seen the wide range of Sundridge clothing which I was so impressed with, both for quality and also for value, that I've passed the results of the earlier research onto them. Hopefully Sundridge are going to incorporate some of these ideas into a waterproof/life-jacket they're developing.