Yet more shots in the foot...

Guest Gordon Scott

Guest Gordon Scott

From the current issue of my local paper:

(Headline) SO CARELESS. RIVER BIRDS CONTINUE TO SUFFER AS ANGLERS LEAVE HOOKS AND LINE BY THAMES BANK. "Careless fishermen are blamed for the large number of swans that have been injured at a riverside beauty spot.

The popular stretch of the Thames between Walton Marina and Cowey Sale is being labelled a 'blackspot' by wildlife experts.

Last week alone Egham Swan Sanctuary supporters had to treat 14 swans that had been caught by fishing tackle and line.

One swan suffered so badly from shock after a hook became embedded in its neck that vets have not yey been able to discover the full extent of injuries to the throat.

Mrs *************, who lives close to the River at Walton and works at the sanctuary, believes careless fishermen are making this area notorious.

She said 'It is such a huge, huge problem in this area. I went down to the river last week and picked up so many discarded lines and hooks they half filled a bucket, which is just ridiculous.

'The swans are attracted to the fishermen because they throw food on to the river' (sic) 'to try to attract the fish' " (She goes on to explain what you should do if you see a swan in distress).

Now, I normally jump on anti-angling propaganda PDQ, but in this instance I just can't, I know the venue and it is a terrible mess, largely, although not totally, caused by so-called anglers (irresponsible dickheads more like). It's a free fishery, like all the lower Thames, so it's no good appealing to the riparian owners (Thames Water I assume)to clear up, or is it?

We all know what the Great British (non-angling) Public think of their swans, reports like this are so harmful to our sport it doesn't bear thinking about, but how can you defend the indefensible?

Perhaps the SACG should get involved with this one, I certainly don't know what the answer is.

Gordon

Guest waterman1013

Gordon

This is a problem almost nationwide on free fisheries and canal sections where they are not in the copntrol of the local club and bailiffed properly.

In Hemel my club has a reasonable relationship with our local "swan lady", not the easiest person in the world rolleyes.gif.

Her major problem is the canal controlled by LAA which hardly ever sees a bailiff and of course lots of lads and lasses, as well as older "anglers", fish it. The tackle losses at the height of the summer holidays are pretty bad and the "swan lady" is kept busy. She has no problem with those waters managed by local clubs and has in the past appealed to BW to lease control of the local canal to local clubs so that we can manage it properly.

The answer seems to be to admit there is a problem, suggest the solution lies in proper management of the water and training of the youngsters and try to get a local club involved in managing the stretch. Litter and swans damaged by discarded tackle are BIG problem for angling. SACG in the past has worked closely with Dot Beason of Swan Rescue in Surrey, who have a high regard for anglers and the work we do in trying to stop this happening.

It is generally best if local cases are dealt with by local anglers and it is not easy. Necessarily you have to deal with some pretty difficult people with pre-judged positions on angling. It can take a long time to build the bridges but local management and club involvement is the best solution I can offer.

Any local involvement will get support from SACG, after all we helped to save the fishing at Clapham, when bird lovers got the council to ban it, on the common. The "bird lovers" turned out to be the CAA operating from an address in Bristol but using an address in Clapham as a cover for their work.

See if you can recruit some local anglers to help in the battle and if you need help get back to me.

Mike Heylin

Guest Gordon Scott

Mike, thanks for the sound advice.

Unfortunately, however much a club would like to aquire fishing rights on the lower Thames (below Staines), it can't happen, at least not as things stand, The fishing rights were granted in Magna Carta to the people in perpetuity by King John. This applies wherever there is public access to the river. (Although this hasn't stopped some local councils working flankers over the years as you might imagine).

As for me doing something about it, other than whingeing here, no, sorry, I've had my fill of angling admin over the last few years. I've joined the great inactive majority, at least for a sabbatical, possibly for ever. If my words lead to someone else doing something about the problem, great, they have my admiration and support, but count me out at least for the present. 99.9% of anglers' only involvement with their sport is to go fishing, it seems to work for them...

Gordon (idle bas***d)