Rod licence

Guest David

Guest Dave Carr

Care of our fishing environment is a year round job even though many people (including me) wimp out for some of the colder months.

I'm happy in the knowledge that a few pounds a month is going to ensure that I've got a clean stretch of water, and hopefully some fish, to go back to.

Compared with the cost of a day ticket at some venues (which I don't fish but am getting tempted) its a bargain!

Guest chevin

DavidP. Surely the post office has a computer? If so where is the difficulty in having daily/weekly/monthly/three monthly or annual permits. I visited the USA last year, and although I fished in California, Oregon, Washington, Canada, Wisconsin and Maine, I never had to buy one annual permit!

Guest David

We seem to have a few differant views, and its not just the price that is at issue I do feel that it would bring more to the EA by the dodgers paying up, and in truth what does it matter if its a pint od maggots or the price of a day ticket we have that choice to fish these waters or not to fish legal we have no choice but to buy a licence.Now matter what you spend on a product you like to feel you have value for money, not all anglers wish to fish 12 month a year and pay for a 12 month licence so they do not buy a licence, the chances of being caught is slim so why pay up?

One way of beating the dodger and getting more money for the EA, would be to put so 10% tax on all day tickets, fishing tackle and bait, that would stop the need for a annual licence? And it would be simple the more you fish the more you pay!

Just like to add a bit to this growing thread.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I have always been under the impression that a rod license is require because a fishing rod is classed as a dangerous weapon ? a bit like the licenses required for a dog. If I am correct in my thinking, then surely, the rod would still be a potential weapon out of season. As I just said, I may be wrong, but it's only 20 quid.

I spend nearly that much on going to watch port vale every week and if that's 20 quids worth of entertainment, a rod license would still be cheap at double the price !

Guest David

No we have not had a dog licence In the UK for over 30 years, as for a rob being a weapon I do not think so, how many poeple have ever taken a rod to war or commited murde by a rod. If this was so one would have to have a licence for most gardeners who use caines. And if you pay £20 to see any football team play your being robbed.

Guest David

Well now I have heard it all a rod a weapon.

I have seen a lot of poeple killed but never by a rod, and we have not had dog licences in the UK for over 30 years.

Messing about apart I do not think the fishing rod as ever be classed as a weopon but when im next at work i will research this one and get back to you.

As far as speanding £20 to watch a game of soccer thats day light robbery?

Thought I would add a twist to the weapon debate.Last year I bought a small spin rod in America.At the checkin desk at the airport I was told I could not take the rod on the plane and it would have to go in to the hold with the cases in a area reserved for fragile parcels. When I asked why I could'nt take it to my seat she told me they regarded it as a Potential Weapon. If it was such a potential weapon why was it put with the fragiles? As far as I am aware you only need a licence if the rod is actually assembled in close proximity to fresh water.

Guest Martin Salisbury

I agree with Jase compared to other sports/licences the rod licence is fairly priced.

More importantly, do you think Port Vale will stay up? I've never been to your ground before and so I hope we -PNE - don't pass you as we go the other way!

Martin

Oh Martin, Martin, I fear the PNE will looking at the way things are going, at the risk of not turning this thread to football, I hope that PNE do come up, in place of Stoke ! as far as the ground is concerned, it's not by the sea as most people think !

Anyway, thanks for the correction above guys, I think someone may have been winding me up in the past. Does anybody know if the rod license money goes back into the sport or the gov. coffers ? and if the AK47 Shakespear is not a viable reason for a rod license, what is ? I still think it's a bargain considering other license fees though.

Guest waterman1013

Hi Jase

The rod licence fee goes directly to the Environment Agency. Their fisheries work is funded by licence fees and government "Grant in Aid". This government, who proudly told us all before the election how they would support angling, has cut the Grant in Aid since they were elected, making the work of the EA, fisheries department, even tougher because they cannot carry out much that they need to.

A question to David. Are you now or have you ever been a member of CAA?

Mike