Recommendations please for a "wobbling dead bait" rod?

Hopinc

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good 2-piece rod for "wobbling" dead baits on a canal - baits would be in the 4oz'ish range, and I would prefer to use a baitcasting reel (not essential if it means missing out on a good rod) and braided lines of 30-50lbs b.s. ?

There are a few surprisingly good sized Pike in our local cuts, a 30+ was recorded about 5 years ago, but I guess a good average would be 6-12lbs, and of course lots of jacks.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Where abouts are you as Ive a couple of suitable rods you may be interested in.

Thanks for your kind offer, but I am just making plans for purchasing tackle in the coming months, and just looking for recommendations as to what I should look at?

My location is near to Halifax, West Yorkshire.

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

A bit to far then to try out what I have to offer! My wobbling rods are all used with multipliers and I make them up from Muskie blanks I get from the US.These are usually 6' one piece blanks that I then build a dolly butt for to take them up to 9 or 10' as required.

Off the peg I would suggest looking at one of the "Boat" pike rods that are available.These are usually 10' and of the correct TC to cast a good sized bait repeatedly.They usually come in a choice multiplier or fixed spool configuration. For lighter work I would also suggest the John Wilson (cant remember if its called "Wanderer" or "Stalker") 10' rod.Could do with a couple more rings really for multiplier work but fits the bill and can often be picked up cheap.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

A bit to far then to try out what I have to offer! My wobbling rods are all used with multipliers and I make them up from Muskie blanks I get from the US.These are usually 6' one piece blanks that I then build a dolly butt for to take them up to 9 or 10' as required.

Off the peg I would suggest looking at one of the "Boat" pike rods that are available.These are usually 10' and of the correct TC to cast a good sized bait repeatedly.They usually come in a choice multiplier or fixed spool configuration. For lighter work I would also suggest the John Wilson (cant remember if its called "Wanderer" or "Stalker") 10' rod.Could do with a couple more rings really for multiplier work but fits the bill and can often be picked up cheap.

That's interesting, as I build my own fly rods, and like yourself, usually base them on American blanks - a Thomas & Thomas LPS was the last one I built. Occasionally I use Harrison's, of Liverpool.

I had a recent convseration with one of the representatives at Greys regarding this subject, as I too thought that a boat rod similar to their 10ft 6in Stalker would be ideal.

This guy flumoxed me a little by suggesting that I should be considering 8ft spinning rods in the 20-45g range. This seemed a little contrary to everything I have ever seen published, but as I have no experience of chucking such softbaits as Roach, I don't know if he is right or not?

I can well understand his reasoning though - that of feel, but I am not sure I would be entirely comfortable swinging 114g'ish of bait off a rod rated at only a maximum of 45g. Maybe I should just try it.

Regards,

Dave

Even bigger problem with to light a rod is setting the hooks! I found this out the hard way! I would class roach (in wobbling bait terms) as a hard bait!

The lightest I would go would be a "Heavy" rating US Bass rod.

Edited by BUDGIE

Even bigger problem with to light a rod is setting the hooks! I found this out the hard way! I would class roach (in wobbling bait terms) as a hard bait!

The lightest I would go would be a "Heavy" rating US Bass rod.

Yes, you have a good point there. I think I might have the ideal tool anyway, I have a custom built 7ft 2-piece lure rod that I use for crankbaits, spinners, spinner baits, etc. It is rated at 10g to 56g. It has very good sensitivity yet will set the hooks easily at distance and has landed Pike to over 22lbs.

I had wondered if the tip was a bit stiff and would rip the hooks out of a dead bait, but maybe I am looking at this all the wrong way.

If that is slightly undergunned I have another 1 piece 6ft lure rod rated up to 4oz. That definitely has some backbone, but might possibly suffer from hook pulling. It might also kill the feel of catching smaller Pike.

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

Logically softer actioned rods would be better for casting baits (ie not ripping the hooks out) but in practice your not really fishing at the sort of range that would need that much effort putting in. Realistically Im only casting 30-40m maximum.

Edited by BUDGIE

Logically softer actioned rods would be better for casting baits (ie not ripping the hooks out) but in practice your not really fishing at the sort of range that would need that much effort putting in. Realistically Im only casting 30-40m maximum.

OK Budgie, that makes sense. Instead of procrastinating and wondering if it will work or not, the obvious answer is to give it a go and see what happens.

I guess that this will depend on the locality, but have you found any of the dead baits, Roach, Smelt, Mackerel or Lamprey work better for you than others?

Edited by Hopinc

Regards,

Dave

OK Budgie, that makes sense. Instead of procrastinating and wondering if it will work or not, the obvious answer is to give it a go and see what happens.

I guess that this will depend on the locality, but have you found any of the dead baits, Roach, Smelt, Mackerel or Lamprey work better for you than others?

Ive allways preffered natural (freshwater) baits for wobbling and my choice has allways been based around "fishability" ie I like one that will be tough enough to both stay on the hook and with stand repeated casting.Size and "flash" are also important.Basicly if I could only choose one it would be roach of between 6 and 8".Comming close behind (and possibly more acceptable to other anglers (because you can readily get them from farms) would be same sized rainbows (but make sure they are silver and havent "blackened").