ANGLING TIMES / RIVER CLOSED SEASON

Guest Graham E

Guest Graham E

I really hope that it was only the Easter Holidays that prevented wider coverage of the AT Result on the river closed season.

Maybe I'm a suspicious b***er but last weeks issue of glorious colour double pages trumpeted the poll with 5 out of 7 of the pictured "Angling Stars" featured voting strongly for the Closed season to finish.

This weeks issue has a tucked away half single column in black and white and a small heading - Anglers vote against change, with a few comments.

Perhaps next weeks issue will show the result in more detail and depth and illustrate that thinking anglers appreciate not only their sport - but also their quary.

Thank you to all those that voted and also to The Barbel Society for championing fish welfare before fame.

Graham

Guest waterman1013

Graham

Yes AT couldn't have made it much smaller this week, particulalrly as it was in the gutter on a left hand page. Just ask advertisers what they think of left hand gutter positions?

I think they will balance the story out over the next few weeks, if only because so many river anglers will be writing in to support the close season. The problem being that letters to AT are a waste of time in this debate. The letters need to go to MAFF in response to the report. Closing date for submissions is 31st July, after that the decision will be made and if anglers have not made their views known to Ministers then it will be a free for all on the rivers again.

I have mixed feelings, having always supported the close season, even on still waters, there are times when I yearn to go to the river in May and late April. Still walking the banks will have to do me for now and there is still the exitement of planning a trip for the 16th, Oh the Glorious 16th!!!

Looking forward to it already and planning my first weekend on the river.

Mike

Guest Nobrot

Graham,

You were first out of the blocks in responding to my request for e-mail opinions on this subject, but despite the immediacy of the medium, I only received about half a dozen messages in the first 48 hours after publication.

I've just come back from a week's holiday, and there are several more in my inbox - broadly split down the middle.

I'd like to be able to publish them all, but this debate has been rumbling on for a while and I simply don't have the space.

In any case, as Mike rightly says, the letters should be sent to MAFF. I will forward any that I receive.

On a different matter, it's with regret that I'm leaving Angling Times after two years on the newsdesk.

The lure of a full-time position on the Internet proved too much and I'm off to work in a totally different sector.

Despite its many detractors, AT is still the only real national campaigning NEWSPAPER in fishing and is still read in the corridors of power where politicians and civil servants take notice of what it prints.

As Elton's excellent site demonstrates, the Internet will assume a growing importance as a forum for news, views and debate, but in the short term, AT will continue to provide that forum for the vast majority of anglers.

Given that it's the mass that gives us the mandate, they shouldn't be written off.

AT can only derive strength and credibility from its readership and their participation in the title... and every week, thousands of them do just that... but it would be nice to see some more.

Tight Lines etc

Mark

Guest Elton
Originally posted by Nobrot:

On a different matter, it's with regret that I'm leaving Angling Times after two years on the newsdesk.

The lure of a full-time position on the Internet proved too much and I'm off to work in a totally different sector.

Mark,

May I be amongst the first to congratulate you on your move. As far as fishing on the internet is concerned, my feelings are that your impending move is going to have quite an effect, so I'm not sure whether I should be congratulating you or begging you to stay put!!

As you rightly point out, AT is still amongst the most read angling publications and will be for a long time to come. By having a window in AT to the cyberworld, you gave a lot of us a kickstart. Not only that, but you actively participated in discussions here - having somebody with 'inside' knowledge really does make for more interesting discussion. I hope you stick around.

One day, when the world wakes up and and realises that the most valuable sites are the ones with good content and not spinning logos, perhaps I'll phone you from my Lear Jet and off you the task of writing for and editing this site biggrin.gif Until then, err, you'd better work hard, mate, just in case, like!

My fingers are crossed for a decent successor now rolleyes.gif

All the best and good luck,

Elton

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest Graham E

Mark, that is really BAD news that you are leaving AT.

It is so high profile that it needs to reflect all areas in and around the fishing world. In moving the general publics view of uneducated boring fishermen toward a professional hobby akin to golf etc, it needed a forward thinking individual that related to all aspects of the sport and associated media for Y2000+. Your leaving will leave a BIG hole in that ideal.

The very best success, let us know when to surf in.

Mark, make time to come and fish St Pats with me, as Mike (Waterman) will tell you it's a great piece of water.

Best regards

Graham

Guest waterman1013

Mark

Congratulations on the move. I hope all goes really well for you.

However I'm really glum frown.gif to be losing a guy from AT who I always thought should be the next editor. Some of the stuff you did there was in the best traditions of the publication and all anglers owe you a huge debt for keeping those traditions alive.

Is the new move angling related? or are we going to lose a golden prospect to another "business"?

Whatever happens may your lines always be tight, may your connection never be broken and may you continue to weave a web of beauty in your writing and work.

Oh, and by the way, Graham is right - St. Pats awaits you and your rod. It really is a special place and yesterday we picked out your swim for you so make a date with Graham and I'll break a leg to be there with you.

Good luck with everything you do in the future and keep posting.

High speed connections and tight lines forever

Mike

Guest Elton

Mark's having problems posting to the forum at the moment and has asked me to post this:

Thankyou all for those kind words.

I'm really sad to be leaving, but there are plenty of talented up-and-coming journos here who are more than capable of filling my (rather smelly) boots.

The new job is not angling-related, but rest assured, I will continue to lurk regularly and contribute occasionally to Anglersnet - at least until I achieve 'class angler' status!

Give me a date for St Pats and I'll be there - the first beer's on me!

Looking forward to seeing you all soon!

Mark

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest waterman1013

Graham book a date early in June, well after the 16th, and let me and Nobrot know asap. I'm booking nothing to my diary till I hear from you.

Mike

Guest Graham E

Mike and Mark either the 28 or 29th Sort it between you unless you want both and we will have a day on the Loddon also.

There is a good guesthouse opposite my house so let me know early and we can go out night of 28th if you want for that beer.

The following wed/thu is possible also if better.

Rgds

Graham

Guest waterman1013

Graham & Mark

5th or 6th July suit me best. smile.gif

I can't do both days I'm afraid but don't let it stop you Mark. You'll really enjoy it.

Let me know which day suits you best.

rgds

Mike