UK Holidays - River Coarse Fishing

birchy

Hi Birchy

For the broads the best campsite by far is

bureside holiday park at Oby.

They do not have a web site but do a google search and you will find info. They cater for touring vans or tents and have their own river bank for anglers on site but they are right in the middle of some fantastic summer/autumn fishing.

If you prefer a cottage again search google for holiday lets potter heigham. This will give you links to lots of bankside chalets for hire. Again right in the middle of the best fishing.

The nice thing about a bankside chalet is its great for fishing at night when the bigger bream feed and the boats are a bit quieter.

The two rivers I fish are the thurne and bure. The thurne is a lot smaller and the boats can be more of a problem as the season goes on. They are not much trouble early season to mid july.

The bure being bigger leaves a lot more room and you can happily fish all day.

If you go for the camping at oby its a very short drive to several very good spots and obviiously a short walk to their own bank. Their own bank is actually very good as it has very deep water close in and the fish seem to congregate here.

regards

John

I am just polishing up my crystal ball to see what the fishing will be like in July/August!!!!!! Manor Farm has a choice of lakes and river, Elton took Nick there and Nick had his 1st double figure barbel out. I don't think anyone can predict what the rivers will be fishing like in the summer. Or Sandy Balls in the New Forest for the Hampshire Avon, you are spoilt for choice really.

lyn

We fished the nene last summer at billing northants, the fishing was great buckets of bream with a few tench and couple of carp on top

Piking to infinity and beyond

Hi Birchy

For the broads the best campsite by far is

bureside holiday park at Oby.

They do not have a web site but do a google search and you will find info. They cater for touring vans or tents and have their own river bank for anglers on site but they are right in the middle of some fantastic summer/autumn fishing.

If you prefer a cottage again search google for holiday lets potter heigham. This will give you links to lots of bankside chalets for hire. Again right in the middle of the best fishing.

The nice thing about a bankside chalet is its great for fishing at night when the bigger bream feed and the boats are a bit quieter.

The two rivers I fish are the thurne and bure. The thurne is a lot smaller and the boats can be more of a problem as the season goes on. They are not much trouble early season to mid july.

The bure being bigger leaves a lot more room and you can happily fish all day.

If you go for the camping at oby its a very short drive to several very good spots and obviiously a short walk to their own bank. Their own bank is actually very good as it has very deep water close in and the fish seem to congregate here.

regards

John

+1 for the broads. You could hire a boat out. Not the cheapest up-front but you can putter around and find some really nice swims not accessable by car/foot.

Try not to go for the large outlets unless they have a deal on. Try to miss the kiddies hols unless there is no other way (cheaper and quieter).

Would specifically recommend the northern broads myself (Bure, Thurne, Ant rivers) but I don't have much exp on the southern so I'm heavily biased.

Typical day plan- Wake up to ducks wandering around on the roof of your boat.

Eat (not the ducks!). Fish until it starts getting bright (hopefully) so fishing slows down.

Putter about. Spy quaint pub and moor. Eat, drink then sleep. Wake up sunburned.

Putter some more, figure out you can make your boat faster by unscrewing the black knobby bit at the end of the throttle lever. Get yelled at by broads authority. Slow down. Spot 'perfect' swim. Moor. Fish into the night. Sleep. Rinse, repeat.

Bream, Roach, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Perch, Pike, Rudd (real beauties too!), Odd Eel, Rare Tench, Carp are like hens teeth. There are even a few scattered shoals of Silver Bream, have caught a few myself in the Martham area (Thurne, beyond Potter Heigham).

Tackle shops within easy walking distance of major moorings in Potter Heigham and Wroxham.

Don't forget your coolbox.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Right, here's the situation. I'm now keen to go to the Norfolk Broads as it looks perfect with plenty of choice, however the driver of our threesome wants to go to the Dorset Stour as it is apparently fishing well and he doesn't want to spend more than £150 on accommodation. He's spotted a campsite with static caravans and a 1 mile stretch of the river. Think he said it's £350 for 5 days.

Dunno why the budget is so tight as we spent more last year, but it's my job to find something similar on the broads. So here's our approximate requirements:

• Fishing: MUST have river fishing. A nearby pool or lake would be a bonus should we get fed up of the river(s) and/or fancy a change.
  • Cost: Maximum £150 per person for accommodation and boat hire (IF we need a boat?). Will be 3 of us for definite and possibly a 4th member.
  • Dates: early season, before the school holidays, so June 16th to mid July or whenever the kids break up?
  • Accommodation: Static caravan is fine. Anything above that (i.e. log cabins and cottages) will be gratefully accepted if within budget.

Sooo, can any of you locals help me compile a list of suitable places? Would be very much appreciated as I quite fancy a trip to Norfolk!

EDIT: Bureside camping park has good reviews and has both river and lake fishing, however I'm not sure if they have static caravans? http://www.bureside.com/ suggests not. :(

Edited by birchy

EDIT: Bureside camping park has good reviews and has both river and lake fishing, however I'm not sure if they have static caravans? http://www.bureside.com/ suggests not. :(

Hi Birchy

Bureside does not have statics for rent its a caravan touring and tenting setup.

I have used my bivvy on the main site. The facilities for toilets showers etc cover all your needs you can get take away food easily you just need canvas to sleep under.

I now have a touring caravan espescially adapted for fishing but will still use my bivvy here around the time you are looking to go as for quick sessions its cheaper and easier than towing the caravan up there.

regards

John

Hi Birchy

Bureside does not have statics for rent its a caravan touring and tenting setup.

I have used my bivvy on the main site. The facilities for toilets showers etc cover all your needs you can get take away food easily you just need canvas to sleep under.

I now have a touring caravan espescially adapted for fishing but will still use my bivvy here around the time you are looking to go as for quick sessions its cheaper and easier than towing the caravan up there.

regards

John

Hi John. We normally camp out as the driver has a converted mini bus and we plonk a party tent against the side and a couple of small tents. One sleeps in the van, the other 2 have a tent each. This year, we were gonna posh it and go for a static caravan or better.

Do you have any knowledge of Waveney? www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk. Has a river stretch but looks like it might be over run with boats?

Just looking at Bureside again, how much of the river do they have? Their map suggests they've only got 1/4 of a mile or so? Does Norfolk generally attract a lot of boats? I've fished the River Severn around Worcestershire a few times but the constant wish-wash from the boats is bloody annoying.

While on the subject, what's the Dorset Stour like for boat traffic?