gudgeon problem

Guest rod

Guest rod

Hi,

Anyone got an answer to this one: One ofmy local stretches of canal has a really good head of quality roach unfortunately it also has a massive head of gudgeon. The problem I have is getting past the gudgeon to the roach Ive tried fishing up in the water and feeding on line with groundbait and one with hemp and caster. the problem is the gugeon just move up in the water. The roach are ther because every know and again you will get a good roach amongst the gudgeon.

Any ideas?

Barnet Anglers http://www.badac.co.uk

Guest davidP

I've not come across too many gudgeon that eat hemp, but I've never yet caught one on a tare. Elderberries can be good as well when they're in season and if you want to try something a little different then caddis larvae perhaps (although other species will eat them just as readily so not as selective). I also used to talk to an old guy who swore blind that silk weed was the best bait for roach!

I'd go along with stewed wheat though to pick out the bigger roach.

Guest oliver g

bread may work geodgeon aint too keen on it also try feeding that 2nd line with chopped worm and red maggot geodgion love these!!

------------------

oli

Guest chicken jimmer

Count yourself lucky. I love gudgeon (or gudgits as we call them) but the good head we once had at Coxes and the Wey Nav have mysteriously disappeared, and are now cause for celebration if one is caught. Anyone know why??

Jimmer

Guest IanG

Yep

"beleived not to be a gypsy" probly eat them all as stuffing for the squirel pie!!!!!

IanG biggrin.gif