Carp Challenge

Guest DonRamos

Guest DonRamos

At my favorite local club water, all through the summer I see large numbers of carp cruising though channels in the extensive lilly patches on the lake. For two summers now I have been trying to catch one. I have tried everything from waggler fishing, through using the method, to surface floater fishing and nothing seems to work.

I am usually a match angler and am no pro with these complicated carp rigs, but can somebody lend me a hand.

Guest IanG

Don

No Probs!!

If its anything like the waters I fish then there are a few options:

Floaters:- Its hit and hold tactics Im afraid so you do need to gear up to something like 15lb bs minimum line as you are going to be close to snags and lillys.

The art of fishing in this locality is to present the bait hanging just over a lily pad. That is to say cast over an edge lily pad and gently draw back so that the bait is on the edge but not so close as to stop it moving into the carps mouth when it sucks. An end rig of carp silk or such flexible braid will help in this. This presentation hides the line and won't spook the fish. Watch and learn the routs the fish take and place your bait to ambush them. If fishing holes in the pads use the same technique but remember hit and hold until the fish clears the lilys before you give line. On most of my waters a lagish piece of crust is always favourite. Dont be too anxious the fish may have several abortive goes at the bait before actually taking it. And do keep out of sight. Put a few freebees out as well to get em going.

I suspect that these fish will not be feeding on the bottom if they are in surface cruising mode on hot days.I would put a bottom rod out as well-just as a back stop for any that do go down. Evenning is best for this.

Bottom: God where to start?

In lily pad areas the line rules apply but do make sure you have some open water to fight the fish. Same for above. I assume you dont have all the carp gear so: Fishing close in 5-20 yds max try a simple ledger rig with a hair attached (its as good as any at close range)to your hook on which you can present sweetcorn, boilies or anything you wish with a few freebees around. Make sure your drag is set so your rod doesnt take a swim if you get a screamer- you can tighten this after holding the spool on the strike. Do stay close to your rod and be ready for take at all times as you HAVE to get that fish away from the lilys otherwise you could end up damaging the fish or even worse tethering it (carp know exactly where to go!) biggrin.gif

Didnt mean to lecture

Hope this helps

Good Luck and go get em

IanG

[This message has been edited by IanG (edited 05 May 2000).]

[This message has been edited by IanG (edited 05 May 2000).]

Guest RobStubbs

Don,

Probably as good a method as any, in these circumstances, is to float fish a lobworm or corn right up tight to the pads. As Ian said you need to have tackle man enough for the job - 15lb line and a rod of something like 2 1/4 lb TC. You will need to pull the fish away from the pads so some match rod wouldn't be man enough and there's a big risk of damaging the fish if it ends up snapping you in the pads.

You could try floater fishing with something like chum mixers but I find it much harder than float (or bottom) fishing.

Give it a go and let us know how you do.

Rob.