poles

nathan

you can also fish so much more sensetively with a pole.

you can hold the float in the position you want it so that tow does,nt affect it,you can add abit of life by lifting and dropping.

can be a pain in a strong wind tho .

I very rarely use a pole, not wishing to become a pole only angler.

But I have recognised several occasions when its the only way to fish.

My favourite is on a small river ( the suffolk stour) when in flood. There are lots of swims that have slacks on the far bank crammed full of fish escaping the fast water.

Its then you can use the pole, when its hard to fish any other method, as the fast water between you and the slack area makes presentation impossible.

The only trouble I have is with big bream, pulling them over the fast water, its surprising how big they can be in the upper reaches and how well they fight. The chubb surprisingly are no harder than usual.

Its been a very successfull winter method for me. I have used my beloved stalking/roving sessions, mostly mornings, to identify a swim for a relaxing afternoon sit down.

hope this helps

john