Bream on the Bure

Guest Hammy

Guest Hammy

At the start of the season , as always , I will be fishing on the tidal Bure for Bream.

My normal set up is a fixed feeder rig with a size 10 hook .

The problem I have is that 50% of the fish I catch , if I catch , will have taken the hook

right down .

Any suggestions as to how I can get over this problem ?

Guest IanG

Difficult to answer as Im not sure how your rig is set up but... try using a sliding feeder link (shortish) with your hook link direct to your main line. This may give you a more direct indication. Or it could be your bite detection is not sensitive enough and the fish are on the bait too long before your gear registers. Or it may be your hook link is too long and the fish are picking the bait up below the feeder and are swiming up stream, this would allow some time befor they swimm twice the distance of your hook length before the bite registers. Shorten the hook link as much as possible. Experimentation is the mother of invention as they say!!!

IanG

PS many years ago I took the family out on a hoseasons holiday and moored the boat on a grassy idilic bank of the Bure only to wake up the next morning to find the river 20 yards away. Very embarasing it was sat there on the mud waiting for the next tide while all the boaters where chugging up and down the main channel pointing at me-still I got some fishing in!!!!!