Method Mix For Carp

Elton

Posted on behalf of Nigel. Please add all replies to this thread:

hi guys as i am new to coarse fishing and like the idea of using a method feeder can anyone tell me is there any hot faverate mixes or any

must or mustnots. i will be targeting a p.b. carp

any tips would be helpfull thanks

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Ha, the method mix,

Here one that i have been refining for a couple of years.

Vitalin dog food (Orginal)

Hemp

liquisied sweet corn

Pellets (optional)

Mainline syrup,both or seperate (pineapple and tigernut)

A few whole sweetcorns

Crushed boilies

Tigernuts (Optional)

few handfull of complete boilies

Mix with lake water and to required texture

salt

The trick to method mixes is trial and error, i have fished quite a few lakes and have used different mixes depending on which lake i am fishing at the time as different carp like different foods. A lake I fished in Devon the carp loved pellet so the base for the mix was pellet. Another thing about the method is you are trying to attract the fish not feed, if you over feed them will they ignore your hook bait, do not over feed very important.

I match my hook bait to the method mix, so the carp are used to feeding on the same things. Another thing about fishing the method you have to learn to sit on your hands (Note easy). I use very short hook links and tuck it in to the method ball, the carp will route about in the ball and you will get bleeps from the alarm (DO NOT STRIKE) wait until the fish starts to take line from the reel then strike. I lost count of the fish i have missed because of striking to soon. You of course can choose not to put the hook in the bait ball and treat it the as normal but what ever fits the situation you are fishing. If you fishing weed then i would suggest tucked away inside the bait ball.

My advice would be try and work out what the carp like and base your mix around that. I have been fishing a lake in Dorchester for 2-3 yrs now and the above mix works there but it may not work at another lake.

Hope that helps, any other questions let me know.

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

Ha, the method mix,

Here one that i have been refining for a couple of years.

Vitalin dog food (Orginal)

Hemp

liquisied sweet corn

Pellets (optional)

Mainline syrup,both or seperate (pineapple and tigernut)

A few whole sweetcorns

Crushed boilies

Tigernuts (Optional)

few handfull of complete boilies

Mix with lake water and to required texture

salt

The trick to method mixes is trial and error, i have fished quite a few lakes and have used different mixes depending on which lake i am fishing at the time as different carp like different foods. A lake I fished in Devon the carp loved pellet so the base for the mix was pellet. Another thing about the method is you are trying to attract the fish not feed, if you over feed them will they ignore your hook bait, do not over feed very important.

I match my hook bait to the method mix, so the carp are used to feeding on the same things. Another thing about fishing the method you have to learn to sit on your hands (Note easy). I use very short hook links and tuck it in to the method ball, the carp will route about in the ball and you will get bleeps from the alarm (DO NOT STRIKE) wait until the fish starts to take line from the reel then strike. I lost count of the fish i have missed because of striking to soon. You of course can choose not to put the hook in the bait ball and treat it the as normal but what ever fits the situation you are fishing. If you fishing weed then i would suggest tucked away inside the bait ball.

My advice would be try and work out what the carp like and base your mix around that. I have been fishing a lake in Dorchester for 2-3 yrs now and the above mix works there but it may not work at another lake.

Hope that helps, any other questions let me know.

STC

thanks stc

that sounds good to me i like the idea of tigers in it as i have a pile fermenting already

witch i have been throwing every day for the three weeks

will the method work in winter as well as the summer as i have been told it dose not work

in winter

vitalin dog food is that meat or biscuits i will try this mix in the week when the temp goes up

thanks

thanks stc

that sounds good to me i like the idea of tigers in it as i have a pile fermenting already

witch i have been throwing every day for the three weeks

will the method work in winter as well as the summer as i have been told it dose not work

in winter

vitalin dog food is that meat or biscuits i will try this mix in the week when the temp goes up

thanks

On the tigernut prebaiting, how many have you thrown in? The reason I ask as in winter carp tend to switch off or only feed for a shorter time. You want to make sure you do not over feed. I have done that and its not fun, 36hrs and not a single bite.

I fish the method all year round, i have caught on the method in the middle of Febuary in the middle of exmoor when it was bloodly freezing. You have to use a smaller method feeder but other than that it should be fine. I will be fishing next weekend, I will have one rod on the method, another on a choddy rig and the third on an inline running shock rig.

Vitalin, this is what you are looking for,

http://www.amazinganimal.co.uk/vitalin-ori...kg-p-14486.html

It has become harder to get hold of, but most pet suppliers stock it or can get it in.

Any thing else let me know.

Cheers

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

On the tigernut prebaiting, how many have you thrown in? The reason I ask as in winter carp tend to switch off or only feed for a shorter time. You want to make sure you do not over feed. I have done that and its not fun, 36hrs and not a single bite.

I fish the method all year round, i have caught on the method in the middle of Febuary in the middle of exmoor when it was bloodly freezing. You have to use a smaller method feeder but other than that it should be fine. I will be fishing next weekend, I will have one rod on the method, another on a choddy rig and the third on an inline running shock rig.

It has become harder to get hold of, but most pet suppliers stock it or can get it in.

Cheers

STC

hi stc regarding the tiger nuts

i only put a handfull of tigers mixed with handfull of mixed boilies 20 tigers 10boilies

in to diferent spots in margins. fished one spot 16 jan caught a 10lb mirror

using method feeder with lobworm on the hook . had fish first cast then nothing for next 24 hours

but still happy to catch 1 in jan

Cheers

STC

hi stc

on the prebaiting with tiger nuts i put a mix of nuts and boilies

about 20 tigers and about 10 mixed boilies in 2 diferent swims in the margins

do you think every day is to often or would it be better to do every other day

i fished 16th jan first cast a 10lb mirror on the method with a lob on the hook

but blanked on lots of other times roll on spring

Cheers

STC

hi stc

on the prebaiting with tiger nuts i put a mix of nuts and boilies

about 20 tigers and about 10 mixed boilies in 2 diferent swims in the margins

do you think every day is to often or would it be better to do every other day

i fished 16th jan first cast a 10lb mirror on the method with a lob on the hook

but blanked on lots of other times roll on spring

wait until the fish starts to take line from the reel then strike. I lost count of the fish i have missed because of striking to soon.

I'm sure STC meant to say "lift into the fish" rather than "strike". If the fish is taking out line, it's already hooked against the weight of the feeder and you just need to tighten and lift (make sure your hooks are sharp!).

I have seen anglers making hefty "over the shoulder" strikes on fish that were already hooked and this I believe is responsible for much of the mouth damage you see on some fisheries.

Posted on behalf of Nigel. Please add all replies to this thread:

In winter you want low a feed content with high attraction.

my winter mix is simply 3mm pellets with a squirt of swim stim .

put the pellets into a tub and cover with lake water ( very important its lake water) and leave for a couple of minutes and then drain and add the swim stim and then shake to mix and to loosen them up and get some air around them.

leave them for at least 30 minutes and they are perfect to sqeeze around the frame especially if you use a method mould . I dont bury the hookbait in the mix this time of year and use a 6 inch hooklength of 0.16mm diameter flouro line with size 16 GURU QM1 hooks and i use elasticated method feeder to further reduce bumping alongside a soft action middy the works 10ft or normark neo 13ft with the lightest tip.

my three main Hookbait choices are white 8mm boilie , or banded 8mm pellet or corn .

A really simple mix but catches more than any complex high food mixes in winter

In winter you want low a feed content with high attraction.

my winter mix is simply 3mm pellets with a squirt of swim stim .

put the pellets into a tub and cover with lake water ( very important its lake water) and leave for a couple of minutes and then drain and add the swim stim and then shake to mix and to loosen them up and get some air around them.

leave them for at least 30 minutes and they are perfect to sqeeze around the frame especially if you use a method mould . I dont bury the hookbait in the mix this time of year and use a 6 inch hooklength of 0.16mm diameter flouro line with size 16 GURU QM1 hooks and i use elasticated method feeder to further reduce bumping alongside a soft action middy the works 10ft or normark neo 13ft with the lightest tip.

my three main Hookbait choices are white 8mm boilie , or banded 8mm pellet or corn .

A really simple mix but catches more than any complex high food mixes in winter

hi tony

by saying pellets is that trout pellet or some other type of pellet

the white boilies sound good any particula flavor or are they plain