Unusual baits?

Guest Martin Salisbury

Guest atomtubbie

Hi people,

I caught a perch on a size 20 hook, and I mean that there was no bait, the hook just resting in the water while I was setting up,

even better than that my mate Malc had a large Bream on a lemon Fruit Pastille !

luff & stuff

Geoff

Guest Wordbender

To add to my previous 'unusual bait' post - I'm just back from my club water, where I caught three carp on 'oak apples'. Oh yes.

Oak apples are produced on oak twigs by the grubs of gall wasps and look just like my favourite boilie of the moment - Mainline Assassin-8 PT10. I found a wind-blown branch near my swim on Friday evening, to which was attached three oak apples of around 15mm diameter.

I drilled them and left them to soak overnight in a tub of Assassin-8 dip. Next morning, out went a brace of oak apples (smelling invitingly of dip)and in came three carp in less than an hour. This is a boilie-ban lake and I was dying for someone to ask me what bait I was using.Sadly, monsoon conditions denied me a ready-made gloat-fest, what with me being the only angler wise enough to be on the water. Ho hum.

There you go, then. That's my latest pointless triumph. It goes perfectly with thousands of others, BTW. :-)

Tel

Guest Jon Rouse

Martin,

When I was working offshore Egypt I once caught some decent parrot fish using a tomato on the hook and throwing in crumbly local cheese as groundbait. Unbelievable but true.

Guest Badger

Hi everyone.

I know a guy who was trying to prove that you could cath carp on just about anything to a dejected serial blanker friend of his. It was suggested that you couldn't catch carp on human poo. nice.

You can guess the outcome. Yeah, a carp caught on poo. How's that for unusual?

Cheers,

Dave.

Ps Forgot to ask if a it was a pop-up!!

Guest Martin Salisbury

Was it hair-rigged or did he go for the burying the hook method?

I hate to think what his groundbait mix consisted of!!!!!

Guest matchman

The weirdest bait i have ever caught a carp on was a POLO MINT. iwas just packing up and i hooked a polo through the hole and lobbed it out. after about 5 mins the reel screamed and i hooked into a 4lb carp, not a big fish but a very suprised angler