Tiger nuts

Guest Trevor Babich

Guest Trevor Babich

Hi guys,

I pick up that you chaps use tiger nuts for catching carp in the U.K. Something that grows and can be used as a bait seems a lot more cost effective than buying Soth African made boilies which cost an arm and a leg out here.

To import boilies from the U.K. is not the answer a British pound used to cost us R1-85 they now cost us R10-50 each.

I have made my own boilies but it is too much like hard work. Any advice on where I can find info on these nuts would be appreciated

Regards,

Trevor

Guest IanG

Trevor

Here are a few sites for you to look at about Tiger Nuts and the last is in Cape town so may be useful to find a source. If none of these do then do a search on "Tiger nuts" and limit it to your part of the world.

If you dont have a good search tool then download Web Ferret from: http://www.ferretsoft.com/netferret/index.html

Its brilliant and free and will find you anything.

Hope this helps

IanG biggrin.gif

www.pioneerthinking.com/alternativefoodcrop.html

URL: www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/altfood.html

URL: www.freeyellow.com/members/carpie/page3.html

URL: www.cbn.co.za/cbnindx.htm (CAPE TOWN SITE)7 lines up from bottom of list.

[This message has been edited by IanG (edited 16 May 2000).]

Guest Trevor Babich

Hi Ian,

many thanks for all the info I will be surfing away today and when my P.C. mechanic comes in I will get him to download the ferret engine to avoid me crashing my computer. I am new to this new generation and am having fun I just bought a Nikon coolpix 950 digital camera and after pulling out my few remaining hairs managed to take some pics-on auto mode of course and the results were absolutely amazing.Instead of having to get an artist to draw rigs etc for the site I am building I just make up what I wan,t and photograph it and the rest is easy I don,t even have to get someone to scan it on myUmax 1220s scanner for me.

Regards,

Trevor

Guest IanG

Sounds good Trevor. Now you can exchange pics it makes the whole email bit that much more personal, intimate and useful. Let me know if you need any pics of gear or rigs from the UK

IanG

Guest Trevor Babich

Hi Ian,

I am building my section on rigs[we call them traces] and baits. There is a very big boilie promotion going on out here at the moment and some of the chaps have been catching some large carp up to 56lbs on boilies and various nuts mainly on small dams-the problem out here to wean the fish onto boilies is not so easy because they are used to a maize diet and most of our dams are very big.

Our guys buy whole yellow maize used for cattle feed very cheaply-boil it until it swells up and either throw it in whole or mince it to use on a spring feeder or on the sinker.This is far more cost effective than using imported boilies or nuts because our currency is at a all time low-also to make boilies in the quantities we would require would take ages and cost a fortune.

I will definitely take you up on the boilie rig offer at a later stage because I am sure that your bolt and hair-rig methods would work well using the whole yellow maize-which by the way is much bigger and harder than your sweetcorn.

Many thanks for your interest,

Regards,

Trevor

Guest IanG

Trevor

We can buy the big stuff here and I have used it many times in the uk and on my French trips to very good effect so if your carp are weened onto maize I would say use it in preference cos you deffinitely dont want to go the boily route if you can avoid it what with extortionate cost the manufacturers charge for base mix and additives for what, for the most part, is very cheap base ingredients.

56lb ers!! that sounds VERY tempting

IanG

Trevor-email me your address and I will send you over a realy good rig book published here in the uk which I am sure you will find very helpful.

ian@gilmouri.freeserve.co.uk

Guest Trevor Babich

Hi Ian,

you have confirmed a suspicion that I have had for some time correct me if I am wrong.I have downloaded a lot of boilie recipes and they have one thing in common your carp eat extremely high protein-fast grow food and your fishery owners leave it up to the anglers to feed the fish for them.Agreed maize on its own will not have the same affect and I think that is the reason for it being banned on your waters. I always thought the stories of carp "blowing up were a bit far fetched-if this was the case the whole of southern Africa would have blown up with the amount of maize that has been dumped in our waters.

Using maize to extent we do in the Uk.would have a detrimental effect on yor fish and the boilie industry.

Many thanks for your offer on the rig book I will send you the details also some details on the 56pounder lest Elton hires the Concorde to fly out here and corrupt our fish with your high-quality carp nosh.

Regards,

Trevor.

Guest Wordbender
Originally posted by IanG:

Sounds good Trevor. Now you can exchange pics it makes the whole email bit that much more personal, intimate and useful.

IanG

Hmmmmmm....so THAT'S what digital cameras are for! Oh well, each to his own, I guess. :-)

Terry.

Guest Trevor Babich

Hi Terry,

another use for digi-cams is to capture the results of your picatorial pursuits of "THE QUEEN OF THE RIVER" (Isaac Walton)