I want worms!?

Guest Martin Salisbury

Guest Martin Salisbury

I want to start my own wormery so I have beautiful redworms and lobworms to hand every time I go fishing.

I vaguely remember seeing somebody mention a worm farm on anglersnet (or was it elsewhere? oops)

Anyway, can anybody help me out and tell me where I can buy a worm farm or how to set one up?

Thanks,

Martin

Guest Adrian

Martin..

I have two wormeries, both very good. One is one of those recycling bins the council sell for cheap. The other is a home made, wooden job made from 4 bits of old roofing timber with slats from a palette and floorboards for sides. The whole lot is treated with timber preservative.

Once made, stand the bin on bare earth in the garden and the worms just appear. No doubt buying in a 'breeding stock' may be required in some cases. If you do not have access to a spare bit of soil, then I would reccomend one of the commercialy available wormeries.

The trick is getting the compost right, the worst thing is a pile of old grass cuttings, they go slimy and exclude air. They also tend to get too hot. I use a mixture of well rotted manure, sweepings from a rabbit hutch together with waste from the kitchen. Mix it all up and let nature take its course. Fruit that has gone off seems to be a worm delicacy.

Make sure that the bin does not get too hot or the worms will turn into soup in a couple of hours, in the summer it may need shading as well as ventilation. The worms tend to work up the bin eating as they go, the stuff below the level of the worms makes good garden compost

Lob worms can be collected and stored. Jan Porter tells how in an answer in this months Improve your Coarse fishing magazine.

Another benefit of using a wormery is the amount of waste it saves, that equates to less stuff being dumped into holes in the ground that would be better off being filled with water and fish!.

Good luck. Adrian

I started a wormery 2 years ago and it is now spot on. A tip I was given was to get some fresh horse dung from some stables and add it to base of bagged compost and rotten veg. grass garden waste. I got about 2 kilos of worms from Willy Worms they have a website now you can get to them through http://www.badac.co.uk

the links page has alink to them.

It is worth buying some good quality worms to start you off. i have never looked back since.

Richard

Guest oliver g

red worms are easy to get in large numbers from compost heaps,and they can be bread in wormories lobs though are impossible to breed so need to be collected or bought,a company called BRITISH WORM BREEDERS are good. chears

------------------

oli

Guest matchman

try placing 4 stakes into the ground to make a 5 foot square, place string several times tight to the stakes. after a day or so place used teabags to cover the square and leave for 3 days. at about 7 o'clock creap out and check under the teabags. Do this regularly and have a constsant supply of worms.

Tight Lines

p.s. check out the message about the record roach

Guest matchman

Martin.....

thanks for the weight about the roach. where do i go about registering my catch, as i have photos,witnesses. is there a reward involved.

cheers matchman

P.S. reply on ponds, lakes, resevoirs

Guest davidP

Suggest you ring Anglers Mail or Angling Times. If you've caught a record roach they'll go out of their way to help (as long as it's an exclusive of course!)

I hope the photos are extremely clear as there are many roach hybrids around and it's often very difficult to tell from the difference between pure and hybrid from photographs.

Guest IanG

Fortunately I have horses so I have -as a bi-product- the biggest wormary any one could wish for (Horse ***** pile the size of a house) This realy is the best medium I know particularly if you have a mix of straw and shavings with it. the worms always inhabit the layer about 1' down for about 1' as this must be the optimum temperature for them and below that layer composting takes place with heat. So the lesson is to regulate the temperature. As you add more material they migrate up the strata. On bare ground they will naturally colonise the heap so you dont need to "seed" it with worms to start it off.

If space is limited then you are buying yourself some work to keep the pile in good shape with constantly renewed material.

IanG