Help Needed - Maggot Farming

Guest Elton

Guest Elton

Serious answers, please! Just received this email and though a few of you may have done this in the past:

I am looking for information on how to grow maggots for fresh water fishing.

Any information will be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Nahum Menkes

------------------

Elton Murphy

Anglers' Net

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk

Guest IanG

If this is for personal use and not on a large scale then the process is simple but smelly!!

Buy a few ox hearts or similar offal or any dead fowl, pidgeon that sort of thing. Get a large plastic box with lid ( the sort you get from DIY places to store stuff. Put some saw dust in the bottom (helps keep it from meltdown!)Place the offal on top and let the flies blow the meat for one or two days. Put the lid on and check it daily. When the maggots have hatched and reach your desired size remove the meat, sieve them out of the sawdust and then refridgerate to keep them for a week or two between trips. This Is no good in the winter as flies are not about so then you have to hatch them,grow your breeders on to chryalis and on to hatch as flies and feed em on sugar syrup in a closed space. They will mate and then let them blow your meat!! in a production line manner.You will need some heat for this in winter.

OR just buy the bloody things - the guys that breed them need a medal in my book!!

[This message has been edited by IanG (edited 18 May 2000).]