Long Match Rod

Guest Cyril

Guest Cyril

Hello,

I saw on angling mag adverts for long match rod, 15ft upto 20ft (by example Map product).

What is the use for this kind of rod ?

Is it interesting to have it ?

Thank you for your reply.

Cyril, french guy

Guest davidP

Very useful when float fishing on deep rivers. The Map one I suspect was developed on the River Severn for winter roach fishing (ie around Shrewsbury where Dave Harrell fishes a lot of matches). Many of the swims are over 15 feet deep and the extra few feet of rod makes the float that much easier to handle. A couple of times I wished I'd had one but as I didn't fish the area too often I never got round to buying one. I did try an early model a few years ago but I found it a little unbalanced and 'floppy' (for want of a better word). I would suspect that they are much better now however following a few years development.

Guest Gazza

Cyril another reason why they were so popular when they arived here was that some matchman used them on stillwaters for carp, they had a similar advantage to a Pole but with a running line, I have seen may anglers use them to good avail on carp waters. I personaly found them a bit cumbersome, I still think they need a lot more work on them and are probably suited to deep river fishing.

Guest Iain

As well as being very useful for fishing deep water, without having to resort to a slider or feeder, I have found that the long rod gives far superior control when stick float fishing. Last season I found that when fishing the River Ure my long rod was usually the first one that I set up. For the deep water it was superb and totally replaced my bolognaise rod to the extent that I sold it, and when it came to stick float fishing it was without doubt the most versatile rod I have used. It gives you the ability to fish small stick floats ie 3or4 No8 at 20 feet out with perfect control even when the wind isn't perfect. If you haven't tried a one I would suggest you borrow one and give it a go.

------------------