Len Head - A Tribute

Guest Elton

Guest Steve Burke

Len's death at the age of only 61 is a real tradegy. My heart goes out to his family.

Len was one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of fishing with. We certainly didn't do enough together but the distance we lived apart saw to that.

Len's most remembered of course for his tench fishing, but he was very much an all-rounder with a string of big fish of many species to his name. Today's youngsters won't realize just what a 7 and an 8 pound tench in the same session meant in the 70s. It's the modern equivalent of a 50 & a 40lb carp on the same day!

Len's book on tench fishing is rated by many, including me, as the best on a single species ever produced. It's as authoritative today as when it was published. Len also wrote an excellent book entitled River Fishing that showed just how versatile he was. Finally his book on rod-building is still worth a read - the publishers obviously thought so as it's recently been reprinted.

Len was my sort of angler, a thinker, and I'm going to miss our long chats on the phone and the too few days we shared after specimens. It's a shame we never did get that perch trip in, Len. You're going to be missed but I promise never forgotten.