bad eyes

im back

hi everyone i am back to fishing after a 10 year break.

getting old now (60) my eyes for reading work are bad. perfect for distance. my problem is that when i am setting up a pole rig i have a lot of difficulty seeing dust shot.(No 10)and putting the line on the shot is hard. can any one recommend a cheap magnifying glass with a light and on a stand.thanks for any help in advance that i may receive.

im back

getting old now (60) my eyes for reading work are bad. perfect for distance. my problem is that when i am setting up a pole rig i have a lot of difficulty seeing dust shot.(No 10)and putting the line on the shot is hard. can any one recommend a cheap magnifying glass with a light and on a stand.thanks for any help in advance that i may receive.

im back

hi Welcome back

If you click on the link below you should find these devices really helpfull.

They are available in most tackle shops i think

http://www.tackleup.com/shot_&_shotz.htm

Edited by tony tinca

im back

I have the same problem and I'm only 44. I discovered the Dinmores autoshot device. It works great and there is one for No8. No10 and No11 i think. I have the no10 and my Dad ( in his 70's uses the no8). It dispenses, holds, cuts and squeezes on the line. There a bit hard to find but I got one online. You can also buy refils.

http://www.chapmansangling.co.uk/dinsmores...otter~6238.html

hope this is a help.

Regards Rob

im back

many thanks for that i went on ebay and ordered one right away.hopefully i will get some joy out of the item you suggested

im back

Hi,

Welcome to Anglers Net,

I am well into my 60's and I have Multiple Sclerosis which as you may know has many and quite varied symptoms for me it means when it flares up I wake up totally blind by midday I am a paraplegic and by late afternoon I am a quadriplegic. So far I have been lucky I have experienced pretty good remission. Although it does take me a while to recover and each time my eyes get a little worse for close vision, and I have poor short term memory although an unbelievable long term memory.

Like you I have a great deal of difficulty seeing and to a point handling small shot, my solution is to use the following,

1: I have bought several different strength cheap almost throw away glasses for fishing I use 3.00+ pair on a strap which I dangle around my neck and just put them on for baiting the hook and putting weights on.

Why don't I just get my eyes tested and buy a new pair of glasses each time my eyes get worse - I do but while I am waiting for the glasses to be made I make do with the throw away ones, I have to have very complex lenses with different prisms which take time to make and I have no intention of missing any fishing if I can walk.

2: I use stotts for weight having tried all those available - I don't like using them as I would much sooner be using micro dust shot - but they do the job to a point so I make do and in fairness the stotts do not damage the line as much as some other weights do.

Incidentally I thoroughly recommend that everyone (especially anglers) should have their eyes tested regularly, I do and always have.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God