Info on the Windrush

Rick J

I would like to give the river Windrush a go, but with not living in the area I have no knowledge of the river and not much on the internet. So I am looking for some one with the information about the river, like good spots to try for Chub, Dace and big Roach, I am not looking for hot spots but it would be nice. Any day ticket information, local club, tackle shops and general information. If you do not want to put it on the forum, then just see me a PM.

Rick J

Rizla

Try the river at Burford, there is a stretch just outside the town that is day ticket. Or so it used to be, the day tickets were purchased from the sewing / wool shop in the High Street. You can pay on the bank, and often no one would collect. This sretch is very good with trout, chub dace and roach prolific. The river between Burford and Witney is mainly fly only trout Witney angling club control around the town. Barbel can be found here.

The Windrush is a classic unspoilt fishery, enjoy.

Newlands Angling club control a small but excellent stretch behind their lakes your best bet for full information is

State Tackle in Witney 01993 702587.

Most of the river is very small and streamy and so basically travel light, in the early sixties, when they first considered stocking Barbel into the river Peter Stone described it as a mini Severn and this has proved to be true with regards to the barbel, there are plenty of specimens into double figures.