Help with lure rod choice please

P@UL

I'm going to buy my brother a lure rod for xmas. He's started showing an intrest since he just bought his new house with a river at the bottom of his garden(lucky *******).

He will be targeting Trout and Sea Trout and with a good chance of a Salmon and also Perch on a local lake.

Would something like a 9' 10-30g be OK?

And could anyone recommend a rod around 50 quid?

Paul

P@UL:

I'm going to buy my brother a lure rod for xmas. He's started showing an intrest since he just bought his new house with a river at the bottom of his garden(lucky *******).

He will be targeting Trout and Sea Trout and with a good chance of a Salmon and also Perch on a local lake.

Would something like a 9' 10-30g be OK?

And could anyone recommend a rod around 50 quid?

Paul

I would personnaly go for a shorter lighter rod, sea trout have very soft mouths, and a 10 -30 gm rod might be a bit powerful, although obviously its ideal for a salmon, but if hes going to be catching trout, sea trout, perch mostly, i would go for a 7 ft 2 - 15 gm rod, far more fun, and i d still have 100% confidance of landing a salmon, its not ideal for salmon, but will do the job ok!

I use a shakespear 7 ft 2_ 15 gm Areial spinning rod, which set me back about 40 quid!

Go along with Mr Oblivion on casting weight and length. Take a look at the Steel Head rods from Ron Thompson. Incredible quality for the price! DON'T be put off by the price, only £21.95 including postage. Visit:- http://www.chapmanstackle.com or see their advert in Improve Your Coarse Fishing.

Talking about Xmas Shopping in September! Arghh! :D

[ 21. September 2002, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Peter, Sorry for bringing up Christmas in september, I knowhow you feel. I just like to get stuff ready in advance and it saves all that stress and stuff. I will definitely take a look at the Ron thmpsons though. Merry Xmas m8 :)

Paul