Ignorant gits

Barry C

On a recent chubbing session with Rich, an old boy walked past us and settled into a swim we'd baited up with mashed bread (an occupational hazard, it happens sometimes). The first thing he did was whack away at the bankside vegetation with a bankstick until he could get his chair right by the water's edge. If he'd dropped a bait quietly into that swim odds on he would have had a quick bite from a good chub (he was also chubbing), as it was he scared everything witless before he'd even started fishing. He was a nice old chap though, I talked to him for quite a while.

Bad manners from other anglers is what keeps me away from busy venues, I just can't handle it. I want the challenge to be against the fish, not against noisy and inconsiderate anglers (I also didn't say carpers :D ).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sadly a very true statement...Because of these sorts of problems coupled with my limited mobility. I have worked very hard to never let it get me as a consequence I am happy to fish in very disturbed areas and contrary to what most think I have found. That in areas where the fish have to put up with a lot of passing noise from dogs people passing by they don't get put off, I even use such disturbances to assist my angling and will admit to often having great success with it. However it is in the quieter places that vibration and noise put them off.

I don't think there are many anglers who are totally guiltless of being a bit unthinking nor lacking in consideration for other anglers, I have fished quiet stretches and suddenly had my swim bombarded by groundbait and legers by some moron who thinks he own the river but who has not seen me, often because the or she has totally failed to really observe the river and just fished his/her favourite swim regardless of it being occupied by another who got up earlier.

Thinking about it your right and its not like the man walking over the bridge was throwing rocks in my swim and it was probably more like i was using it as an excuse for not doing well , its not like i was bagging up before he started walking across anyway and like you say the fish must be used to it by now as why would it be such a good spot to catch them from in the first place if people walking across really spooked them that much

Some of the best results can be in the margins when ducks and geese are making a hell of a noise there and splashing around because the fish dont expect to be fished for and rarely are , so maybe as long as its a noise or disturbance that the fish are used to and expect then no real harm is done and we just like to vent our anger or make it an excuse before really thinking about it

Edited by tony tinca

I have to admit that I may occasionally be guilty of disturbing other anglers but as I've become more aware of how it affects MY fishing, I become aware of how I might affect others and have adjusted.

Many just don't know or realise. Its not like most are doing on purpose but they've never HAD to be quiet to catch.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I think we've all probably disturbed people fishing at some point in time, by mistake. I once went and spoke to a bloke fishing on a lake near me, he was catching perch from a couple of feet away from the bank, i went and spoke to him, stood right in front of the sun, cast a huge shadow where his float was and his swim went dead. I didn't mean to and i apologized, but these things happen, especially when you are learning to fish, i would run up and down the bank to get things from the car, only now do i realise how bad that is when you are fishing and i'm sure i probably pi**ed off a few anglers that day until i was told these things!!

Sometimes people don't realise the effect it has, but often they do, and thats what annoys me.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I'me quite happy with youngsters/newcomers who are obviously on a steep learning curve getting it wrong.

These guys I am talking about were (I will now call a spade a spade) carp anglers, one of whome is well known to me.

He has all the right gear and has some very creditable fish to his name many from a very hard water and has been a sereous angler for probably over 20 years.

The problem seems to arrive where many carpers do not consider that anyone not fishing for space hoppers is a sereous angler and therefore not worthy of consideration.

Ive seen these guys wander round to have a chat to like minded anglers, and they are obviously quite capable of stealth. They tread carefully, keep off the skyline and talk quietly when THEY consider you are a worthy angler.

Yeh i know what you mean, if its not carp it's not worthy.

It used to bug me-I would fish this nicely done commercial lake, my favourite spot was a big patch of lilies where you could cast a float to within inches of it and catch roach, rudd and perch all day long. Then i would go down one day and see a carp fishermen sitting in this spot, with his ledgered boilie cast out to some distant piece of water. Now i know he had as much right to go in that swim as i did, but its just that he could have cast to where he was from several different pegs around the lake, whereas i could only fish the lilies in that one spot. He wasn't taking advantage of the feature so he shouldn't of gone there, i ended up fishing an open space of water and catching one or two small fish in a day. This happened several times and eventually i stopped going there, it just bugged me at how blatantly selfish they all were.

I know exactly what you mean, and i know all carpers aren't like this but it's things like that which really winds me up!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

a well experienced angler came running past me jumping over my rod with his huge size 12s.

That's a contradiction. He's clearly not half as experienced as you might imagine and he's probably more likely to be a kid's entertainer with size 12 feet.

Besides, I'd have said something like, "Was that absolutely necessary?".

Either that or I'd have ambled over to his swim, stood on the skyline, flapping my arms and shouted, "Ooh look at that carp scared out of it's wits. Makes you wonder eh?"

Sometimes I think sarcasm is the best way to get a point across.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...