Pikeperch.Matt Hayes& Zander

zappagod

I always thought they looked much more like a bass.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warren Gaunt & Others,

I had the priveledge of being introduced to "Pikeperch" by a young man by the name of A. Von Boven in 1987. This word to me was totally new and as a southerner, I had never seen this fish before. We caught 4 of them in various sizes to 8lbs. I was telling everyone that I spoke to that this was a breed of fish in Belgium and in Europe specifficly. Little did I know at the time that this was also a fish that was well known in the USA. The name does make a difference and in Western Europe you will find a different fish than in Eastern Europe. In the USA there are Walleye and Saugereye. The family may be the same, but fish are different. :):D

HOPPY

Strangely, a double figure walleye was caught from the Delph in the 70s. Nobody seems to know how on earth it got there. I remember Neville Fickling including a photo of it in a Coarse Fisherman article at the time.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I think what he meant was that their physical appearence was half way between a pike and a perch hence the Durch name snoekbaars (pike Perch). Which is fair enough - I don't think Matt Hayes really thinks they're hybrids!