Your Favourite Species ?

Guest STEVE POPE

Guest Danny H

perch, because they're such cheeky little sods, in summer the way they lauch at topwaters, they almost look like largemouth bass, followed by pike, for the way they'll

attack a bait that is almost as big as themselves- or do pike grow bigger than my lures , I've heard rumours.

Guest ALAN ROUNDER

Naff though it sounds, whatever I'm fishing for at the time. For the past few seasons it's been Bream, Barbel and Chub though I've had spells after most species. Carp anglers who hate Bream/Tench and Barbel anglers who hate Chub annoy me somewhat. In one tackle shop I asked for a small unhooking mat (one that didn't resemble a child's paddling pool) only to be told it was unsuitable for Carp. When I said it wasn't for Carp I was told that no other species was 'worthy' of being placed on a mat. I didn't go there again.

For those after a good fight try Thick Lipped Mullet (not the Thin Lipped which aren't in the same league). I had a few summers after them catching fish to over 8lbs and they make Barbel seem like pussycats. Make sure the reel has a good clutch though because letting go of the handle and allowing the reel to backwind WILL NOT be good enough.

Guest BUDGIE

I like all of the fish I fish for! Sounds silly but because they all apeal to me for different reasons it has stopped me getting board and has kept me angling for 35 years.

I like continental Cats as I never fail to be impressed by their size and power.At the other extreme I love the delicacy and beutifull appearence of roach.I love the methods used for Pike and their macho image! I would never want to for go the heart stopping moment when a Trout or Carp takes a bait from the surface.Nothing compares to the feeling you get when your rod stops dead upon setting the hook into a double figure Bream.I could go on for ever! If I had to fish for only one fish then it would have to be Mullet(thick and thin) The reason being that they (especialy thins in estuarys) are undoubtedly the hardest of fish to catch consistantly.

Guest chris mc

berbel are bye far the best species you could fish all day not have one then fish the same place the next day and bag up they are so good scrapers to ever tryed to get one in on 4 lb line wow it goes they so nice lookn to.

tight lines chris

Guest Bretty

I must say i do like bream, especially at three in the morning just to keep me on my toes like.

...and don't they hang on! more then a match to my 20lb line and broom handle!!!

...and they smell god to, Fried in garlic butter only take a mo. The ideal fish for the frying pan.

Bretty wink.gif

Guest Milton Ernie

In the UK Barbel: I've only caught 1 but it nearly dragged me in (and I weigh 12 1/2 stone) which has got me hooked for life... they'd be even better if I could catch them more regularly! There's something about the bronze flanks and sharklike shape that just appeals.

Worldwide, I've not had much experience but the Tarpon I caught on floated Hot Dogs and Bagels in a saltwater lagoon were unbelievable. I hooked 12 and only landed one (on 20lb line) and this was after an hour and a half fight. They made the UK barbel feel like a Gudgeon, breaking wire traces, tail walking and just never giving in. Has anyone else experienced these crazy fish?

:-)

M.E.

Guest kelvin wood

they are all my favorites,but honestly i think the chub on which i am quite an authority has to be my favorite

cool.gif

------------------

carper

Guest Keith Banks

Poor Rob gets bored if he catches them (roach).

Are they that easy to catch??

Seriously, its good to see such a variety of fish as favs, not just carp and barbel (nothing wrong with them though)

By the way, is mullet the new IN fish, I doubt it, much to hard to catch, especialy on the Trent.

Dare I say my favs are bream roach grayling chub tench perch and barbel, because they can all be caught on such a variety of methods and venues.

In the bigger pond in which I'm not very competent, my favs have to be bass and wrasse.

But the best fish is the one your fishing for.

Good luck

Keith

Guest Graham E

Steve, as you know, currently barbel...but.....I am worried by the explosion of anglers that have "discovered" this wonderful fighting fish, and also the changing methods. Bare hooks etc, so I will branch out this winter. I want a BIG perch, and I think I know where to find one.

I wish I lived by an estuary, I was in Exeter a few weeks back, watching mullet sucking the weed stems. Now that would be a real challeng methinks, these were in the 3 to 5lb class, and very nervous in the crystal water.

Next year it's going to be River Thames Carp.

The only river coarse fish that fight harder than barbus.

Guest James Owen

My favourite fish have got to be carp they are big fat and chuncky and are greedy like me! and look like they are grumpy buggers again like me i also like the olive tench because of its beauty and power.